kerosene for fuel

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:24 am

Would it be OK to use kerosene left over that I bought for use in a kerosene heater in my 460 diesel tractor?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 am

I don't really know, but my guess would be no. I recall that back when tractors were common in three fuel types (gas, kerosene, and diesel) that compression, air, and carburation were all different on the same style of tractor, depending on the fuel type. But like I said, that's just a guess, based off what I've read about older tractors, so I don't really know.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 am

I have seen it done by mixing a small amout of Kerosene into the diesel over a couple of tank fulls. I am quite sure it would not be good to burn strait kerosene in a diesel tractor. Plus the Kerosene will store for a while.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:42 am

Kerosene is added to winter blended diesel to keep it from gelling in the winter. I believe it runs hotter than diesel. You may want to save it to add to your diesel fuel in the winter.

Billy

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 am

Why not save the kerosene for next winter?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:11 am

Or use it for cleaning parts?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Eugene wrote:Why not save the kerosene for next winter?
you can store it for a year or two and be ok, but after that it does not burn clean in the wick type heaters and starts giving odors that can be pretty strong if indoors. If you are using it in the jet engine type heaters, though it can get pretty old and still be ok.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:54 pm

Kerosene, No1 fuel oil and No 1 diesel are basically the same. My son and i owned a rental house and kept a 50 gallon drum of No 2 diesel as a back up. With tenants you have to be able to supply heat no matter what. When we sold the house I mixed a gallon of diesel to a full tank of gas and mowed. The Lowboy ran fine and eventually all I had was a little left for parts cleaner.
Back in 1973 with the fuel shortage I was stuck in Romulus NY with a near empty tank in a Volks beetle. I started it on gas filled the tank with Kerosene and drove the nearly 300 miles home with no problem. I had figured it would work because I was familiar with dual fuel tractors. My reasoning was the air cooled engine should run hot enough for it to work.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:05 pm

I run jet fuel (basically kerosene w/additives) in my Deere almost exclusively. I mix a little oil with to help lube the pump. I know a guy who drove over 15ys to work in a diesel rabbit on nothing but jet fuel and he drive 110mi one way.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 am

Kerosene can be mixed with diesel. Exceeding 50% kerosene will reduce power.
Best,
Mike

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:22 am

Thanks for everyones help. I didn't want to store it over the summer and use in the heater. So with everyones help looks like mix some with the diesel and rest for parts cleaner. As a matter of fact I have to clean all the grease off of a front axel for painting. Thanks again

Re: kerosene for fuel

Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:01 pm

I have run diesel in my Super C a few times. It starts like crap, but once you get it running, it runs not much different.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:41 am

My Dad worked as a parts man at a IH dealership for 41 years, I often heard him tell people that diesel and Kerosene were the same, and if you uses Kerosene you should mix in a half of cup of low-ash 30 weight oil. to lube the valves.

Hope that helps,
Len.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:39 am

I'm with Bill on this one. I run jet fuel in the diesels with no problems. Just a little oil in for lubrication. Burns the same and the filters are clean!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Probably won't gel up either.