Help settle a dispute

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:15 am

Was the A and Super A ever produced with anything other than a wide front end?

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 am

NO

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:13 am

I have seen a few people have made narrow front, but never any from the factory.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks, thats what I thought.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 am

Excuse the "dumb response" but wouldn't an A with a narrow front be a "B"?? or a "BN" or were these completely different engines than the A?

Mike in La Crosse, WII

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:40 am

The motors were the same, the B is a bit wider in the back. But yes an A with a narrow would be almost a B. That is what my dispute is . This guy says there were A's with narrow front ends I said he has the A abd B confused.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:49 am

A's, B's and BN's are all covered in the owner's and parts manuals. All the A's were wide fronts from the factory. And essentially, the B was the narrow front version of the same tractor.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:22 pm

The only difference between an A and a B is:

Narrow front on the B, Wide front on the A

An A has only one rear axle extension, under the seat and floor pan, to the right rear wheel, and the left final drive is bolted directly to the transmission, just like a Cub.

The B has both a left and right rear axle extension. One under the seat and floor pan (just like the A), and a left extension to position the left rear wheel out the same distance from the transmission as the right wheel is.

Due to the extra width in the rear of a B, the drawbar/hitch system is different on a B, and I do not believe that there was any drawbar or rear impliment hitch offered on a B other than a standard U type drawbar (but it is extra wide). B's did not have rear rockshafts or fast hitch or 3-point hitch setups (from the factory). The A had standard rear rockshaft and U type drawbar, and could be fitted with a fast hitch, which is also easily adapted to a 3-point hitch.

Bill

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:25 pm

This guy still insists he has seen single and double wheel narrow front ends on A's and Super A's.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Just because he's seen them doesn't mean that they are factory original.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:48 pm

I mentioned that , he still thinks there factory, cant educate some people I guess

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:04 pm

In the guys defense, although he sounds like a real piece of work, one could easily take the factory narrow front end off of a B and put it on an A, and no-one would ever know that it was not factory original.

Bill

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:49 pm

gitractorman wrote:Due to the extra width in the rear of a B, the drawbar/hitch system is different on a B, and I do not believe that there was any drawbar or rear impliment hitch offered on a B other than a standard U type drawbar (but it is extra wide). B's did not have rear rockshafts or fast hitch or 3-point hitch setups (from the factory). The A had standard rear rockshaft and U type drawbar, and could be fitted with a fast hitch, which is also easily adapted to a 3-point hitch.

Neither the A nor B came with anything other than a standard U drawbar and optional swinging drawbar. Rockshafts etc. were part of the individual mounted implement.

The Super A 100/130/140 came with a U-drawbar, optional swinging drawbar too. There was a rear rockshaft (like with the Cub) that was available separately and used with multiple implements.

Fast-Hitch was available for the 100/130/140 as an option and could be backfit to the Super A.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:21 pm

I have seen 2 rigs with narrow fronts that seller claimed were factory. One he claimed was an A, and the other he claimed to be a BN. Note, a BN is not a narrow front A, a BN is a B that is 6 inches narrower than a B. Both looked like A with narrow front. Both had been rolled.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:33 am

If someone puts a narrow front on an A, a rollover could be easier. The A rearends were narrower as stated before. Driving an A with narrow front on a hill would be VERY dangerous. The B had a wider rear stance to help prevent a rollover. I believe the BN's had a single front wheel and narrower rearside.

Red56