Meet Ol' Snort!

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:57 am

Super A's and Cubs will always be my favorite. But, for a long time, I have "lusted after" a big IH tractor in the 66 or 56 series. Recently, a friend sent me a link to a Farmall 856 for sale about 2 hrs. away from me. Come to find out, it belonged to a friend of mine! He had told me about buying the tractor a year or year and a half ago. After talking it over with my wife, we decided that if I ever wanted to own such a tractor, this was the time. We want to build a house of our own and start a family before too much longer and I am smart enough to know there won't be time and money for many "toys" afterwards.... :roll:

It's a 1969 856. Has nearly a full rack of front suitcase weights, and a set of dual wheels with worn out tires. The TA works and it'll light right off, even at 25 degrees all it took was a little help from a battery booster to start it up. Has the 540 and 1000RPM PTO shafts. Sheet metal is very straight. I'm gonna use it, and hopefully restore it too. I have never been much on naming tractors, but I have to say just looking at it that "Ol Snort" really seems to fit.

I went to see my friend and pay for the tractor this past Saturday. I hauled the duals home on my trailer, another friend is going to haul the 856 home for me later this week. Can't wait! :{_}:

This is why I put my 450 in the for sale ad's a couple weeks ago. I just can't justify keeping it around with the 856. I hope somebody will give the 450 a good home soon, so I can replenish my savings!

Al

Re: Meet Ol' Snort!

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:02 am

Sweet Super A :D

There ain't no replacement for displacement :{_}:

Billy

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:58 am

Good going Super A, you have one of the more sought after tractors, both for people still working them and restoring them. Kind of the way people were about H and M a few years back.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:38 am

Spent a few hours on one of those growing up. They are as mean as they look! You're gonna love it!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 pm

that is a great looking old war horse!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Impressive looking behemoth good luck with Ol' Snort; as for being out of cash when the kids come you hit that right on the head! Buy now because you won’t be buying later! :mrgreen: :lol: