Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Sun May 10, 2009 10:08 pm

OK, I know this has sort of come up a time or two. And, being I am from eastern NC, I am almost embarrassed to ask, but tobacco had already left our farm by the time I came along. So, indulge me: I have a potential line on an old tobacco setter for a Super A. I would dearly love to come across a good one that I could restore and take to shows. Back in the day my dad co-owned one for our Super A, it may have been a Powell or Holland.

The ones I have heard of are: Holland, Powell, Bemis, and Mechanical Transplanter. Am I missing anybody?

Looks like IH "endorsed" the Holland: http://www.tm-tractor.com/gbrochures/htransplanters.jpg

So, any information, and especially, PICTURES would be great to help me in my quest. This is not a serious, hard-core, leave-no-stone-unturned search---yet. If this potential opportunity does not work out, it may become such a search. :wink:

Oh--And I'm looking for standard drawbar, take-half-a-day-to-mount models. None of that sissy Fast Hitch stuff. 8)

So, any information on what to look for--in terms of age, make, model, parts sources, etc. would be muchly appreciated! :big afro:
Al

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Mon May 11, 2009 4:11 am

I have not really been interested in tobacco planters but there are some sitting around this area. At one time Burly tobacco was the big thing here. I know of two within a mile of me. Since tobacco planters are of no value now, many are going to the scrappers.

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Mon May 11, 2009 6:37 am

I have used MT and have a Holland now. I see them at farm sales, they go for about $100, More this time of year. Look at the condition of the pockets that hold the plant. They are rubber and dry-rot. Look for wear in the axle and and chain sprockets. see if the barrel is rusted out. Be sure to get the barrel side mounts if for an "A" or Cub.

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Mon May 11, 2009 7:24 am

The Holland is best by far A good one is going to be hard to find most are just plain worn out. Check the sword too if you can find them now they will cost more than the planter. They were $100 a while ago. Agri-supply has some parts for them.
David

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Mon May 11, 2009 8:07 am

Al,

Since your are not interested in "sissy, fast hitch" ones, I will not be sending you photos of mine.

I do have a Holland FH transplanter. Picked it up at/from David Bennett.
It a beauty!

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Mon May 11, 2009 8:30 am

Gary Boutwell wrote:Al,

Since your are not interested in "sissy, fast hitch" ones, I will not be sending you photos of mine.

I do have a Holland FH transplanter. Picked it up at/from David Bennett.
It a beauty!



If you don't mind....send pictures! I am guessing that everything but the hitch would be the same. And I am just guessing here, but wouldn't they have a provision to drop the fast hitch prong and bolt on whatever brackets etc. would be needed for a regular drawbar?

The one we had was used on a Super A, with no fast hitch.

al

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Mon May 11, 2009 9:05 am

I have an extra A draw bar if you want it.

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Mon May 11, 2009 4:12 pm

we used A D.R.ELLIS .we planted ove 20 acres of tobacco, wilson broad leaf
JOHNNY J
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Sun May 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Al. you take out a shaft and the fast hitch comes off, there were two brackets that would be installed and the shaft slid back through. Changing it from fast hitch to draw bar mount. I will get some pics as soon as it stops raining. I have found an all most NOS Holland planter :D

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Sun May 17, 2009 3:15 pm

David Bennett wrote:Al. you take out a shaft and the fast hitch comes off, there were two brackets that would be installed and the shaft slid back through. Changing it from fast hitch to draw bar mount. I will get some pics as soon as it stops raining. I have found an all most NOS Holland planter :D


Thanks David, Would love to see pictures!

Al

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 pm

I have a "Darf" that I got at an auction here in Northwest NC. I had never seen this brand before, but "DARF" is painted on the plant boxes and there is a serial tag with that name , too. It says made in Raleigh, NC. It was yellow and red. The tank is Holland and other than the name the planter looks just like a Holland, too.

Daniel

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:47 am

Daniel H. wrote:I have a "Darf" that I got at an auction here in Northwest NC. I had never seen this brand before, but "DARF" is painted on the plant boxes and there is a serial tag with that name , too. It says made in Raleigh, NC. It was yellow and red. The tank is Holland and other than the name the planter looks just like a Holland, too.

Daniel


We had a Darf trailer type wheel rake at home. Only piece of Darf equipment I ever seen.

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Image
Image
Image
The planter below is one I have not identified yet
Image
I will take some better ones soon, I have the regular hitch brackets too