This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH 424 Diesel won't start unless pulled

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
washbb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52302

IH 424 Diesel won't start unless pulled

Postby washbb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 pm

I am working on a IH 424 Diesel for a friend of mine. Ever since it got water in the fuel and had to have the system flushed it refuses to start by the starter and needs to be towed to get started. I know it need glow plugs as he has been using starting fluid to start it on days when it's not realy cold at all. I also suspect the cables and the battery and starter terminals need some attention and I have thought about converting it to alternator to improve battery voltage and charge state for improved starting. I thought I would ask if anybody here has had similar problems before I go off and just start changing a few things. In my mind some new cables, glow plugs, perhaps a starter and an alternator conversion to keep the battery up would be a good start and if it was my tractor I would probably go that way with it right away.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

First things first

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:12 am

I suggest that you clean all the contact areas first -- lugs, brushes-- check battery ,forget the other stuff for now

How did water get in fuel? rain? flood?

washbb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52302

Re: IH 424 Diesel won't start unless pulled

Postby washbb » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:33 am

I think it was due to sitting outside in heavy rain. It has always had a bit of a charging and starting problem and I would not be surprised if the brushes were worn as I think everything is pretty much original on this. To me it just looks like it has been used alot and not kept up much. It doesen't seem to charge the battery when running. I will check out the basics on the charging and starting system. How much easier would it be to start if it had new glow plugs?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH 424 Diesel won't start unless pulled

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:43 am

Properly working glow plugs will make all the difference in the world when starting.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”