This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NEED HELP WITH 3 POINT HITCH, LOOSING FLUID

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AARON24
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

NEED HELP WITH 3 POINT HITCH, LOOSING FLUID

Postby AARON24 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:06 am

Gentlemen I need your help. My girlfriend has a reconditions Farmall "M". We have a blade hooked up to the 3 point hitch. I am loosing fluid but their is no evidence of where the oil is going. If I'm using it for about one hour it will use approx. 3 liters (3/4 gallon). This is a real mystery to us. The only thing its be used for is for snow removal.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Aaron

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: NEED HELP WITH 3 POINT HITCH, LOOSING FLUID

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 am

It has to be going somewhere. Since you have a 3-point, are talking in liters and appear to be in Canada, I suppose you may be talking about a British made M. I don't know if the British tractor has live hydraulics. If it does and is driven from the engine timing gear train, you may have a leaky seal on the pump shaft. If so, the oil could end up in the engine. Are you finding the engine oil over full?

A US made M would not have been built with either a 3-point or live hydraulics. The hydraulics were belly mounted and transmission driven. Any leak would end up on the ground. If you have a US built tractor, you need to give us more information before we can help.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: NEED HELP WITH 3 POINT HITCH, LOOSING FLUID

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:18 pm

A US-made Farmall M could be fitted with a distributor drive hydraulic pump. It's not a common thing, but they do pop up from time to time.

That would be the only way a US-made M could lose that much oil that quickly, and not leave an OBVIOUS trail on the ground.

With that much oil loss, repeated two or three times, your engine should start to smoke pretty badly because the oil level would be so high in the crankcase that it would have nowhere else to go but out the breather and past the rings and valves...

If it's a British M with a factory 3pt hitch, the oil is leaking into the rear end cavity.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”