This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1958 Case 320B Backhoe

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
J Dubya
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45807
Circle of Safety: Y

1958 Case 320B Backhoe

Postby J Dubya » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Gentleman,

I recently purchased an older Case 320 Backhoe (Im pretty sure it is a 320B) they only made these for a short period of time, I believe 2 years. I bought it knowing that the radiator was bad from a rusty fan blade being thrown through it. I got the Radiator re-cored and good to go. After turning it over a few times after the radiator was installed, the starter went out on me. Took it to the local shop and it was a mess, he offered to rebuild it with a limited warranty or could get me a new one for a little bit more with a longer warranty so I went with the latter option. After some hard searching he found me a new starter. It installed just fine with no problems. Cranked it over the for a few times then it seems the gears didn’t want to mesh any longer and would no longer spin the flywheel. I know the engine is free as I was turning it just fine with a pipe wrench. Seems like the new starter gear is "mushrooming" or somewhat grinding the face of the flywheel. Do i need some shims for the starter or should I use a file to open up the teeth a bit on the face of the flywheel to allow a bit more room for the starter gear to engage with?

From the help I received with my cub I know there is a TON of knowledge on this site so i am hoping someone can help me out. I am really hoping this thing does not need to be split as I have no idea what the cost would be but I am sure I do not have the funds for it!!

Here are some pictures I took last night. They are not the best quality but may help give an idea of what I am working with. I am not having much luck getting a picture of the entire tractor, may try later on.

Any help is much appreciated!

Jay
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

J Dubya
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: 1958 Case 320B Backhoe

Postby J Dubya » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:45 pm

Here is a picture of the old girl on her way home.
Attachments
58 Case 320.jpg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Jay:

Haven't got a clue about these aside from seeing them around, didn't realize they were per 60's though :shock: . So I googled manual 1958 Case 320B Backhoe and got a few hits. One of them being Splitting Case 320 backhoe which has some info but more importantly links to the CaseIH Parts site for searching the 300 series Case tractors.

Hope that helps a bit.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

J Dubya
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby J Dubya » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks for the information Rudi, I do appreciate the help! I am just really hoping I do not need to split, not quite sure I have the tools, equipment or dollar bills to do it...

Has anyone used shimms on a starter for a tractor or backhoe before? I have seen them used them on old cars before but never on a large tractor.

:help:

hcollier
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03745

Postby hcollier » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:43 am

Jay,

I have the exact same tractor. I purchased the manuals and received a mix/match of stuff. The problem you are going to have is confirming the exact model. On the case parts website, you can submit 320 in the model search. You will get two different 320 models. You may also find the parts don't match perfectly. I have split mine apart, I had to have the engine rebuilt. Splitting it is not that hard. First you will want to remove the back hoe. Otherwise, your tractor will flip up when you remove the bucket. Then remove the bucket. Support the tractor under the transmission, there is a huge flat spot perfect for a big block of wood or a heavy duty jack. The front axle needs to come off. If you choose to take the nose off, be careful, it is really heavy. Four bolts and the engine comes off. This will give you access to the flywheel. As for tools, you will need a good set of larger wrenches, sockets and a torch. I think, 1 1/2" was the largest and I had to heat several nuts.

This may be the only way that you can match up the starter with the flywheel gears and get it right. I would have gone with the rebuild instead of new. Only because it's teeth already matched up.

Nothing on this tractor is easy. I have had the engine rebuilt, radiator repaired, replaced the generator with an alternator, rewired the electrical, rebuilt the carb and repaired the breather. I still have to fix the breaks, repack some cylinders, fix the power steering, replace the tie rod, have the front spindles re-worked, fix the back hoe control unit, and who knows what else. And to top it all off, parts are pretty scarce. Fortunately, I have a really good machinist to help me.

Best of luck! These tractors are beasts, mine was running on three cylinders and I barely noticed it.

Henry

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:19 pm

I have two 1958 580-ck tractors, both have 188 diesels in them AND with loaders and backhoes , they are one major pain to work on, plus extreeemly hard to get parts for, spendy when you do find them!---currently have one down now with injection pump junk! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”