This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

questions about H

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

questions about H

Postby 2 Busy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:04 pm

I have some manuals ordered but i'm still courious as to some things. It is a 1941 distillate originally. The small tank is not hooked up to anything. But if i ever get it running i would like to use it as a reserve tank if possible. this tractor has seen better days beleive me . most of it is still there but welded/ patched in places.

Is the throttle rod supposed to be hollow and how lond is it supposed to be? mine appears to be spliced in a few spots wit the end at the steering post sporting a bent nail.

does the choke rod go behind the air cleaner of the outside? mine has been patched also and seems to be a little short.

what kind of switches were on it for on /off miine has 2 toggle switches one for the lights and i assume one for ignition/kill. thanks

i know this board is slower than other sites but i tend to get chastized for not having the manuals. they are on order

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:32 pm

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the throttle rod is supposed to be solid. Sounds like someone replaced yours with a piece of metal tubing. Can't comment on the length, as mine is not here. IIRC, it's a straight piece with short 90 degree bends on each end.

Choke rod should go around the inside of everything to get to the carburetor as I recall.

There are three switches:
1. Push-pull for ignition power (or kill if it has a magneto)
2. Dial switch for lights (4-position would be correct for a 1941 with a generator cutoff instead of a regulator)
3. Big button for starter.

Switches 1 and 2 are in the switch box. 3 is on a separate mount.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 pm

If you find an old IH tractor with a toggle switch it was probably added by someone else. To my knowledge IH never used toggle switches for lights and ignition.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:07 pm

I do have a couple of them hollow rods for the throttle . I have the same problem most are rotted . I could be wrong but I think the newer ones are solid and maybe the older ones were not.
Also with the mag you would have had one push pull on off switch and then a switch for the for the lights that turns that was mounted in a box. I think thats the way they were any ways.
JON

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Don't know what year my h's are but they have solid rods,too! the ignition switch was a pull type no matter what the ign was, only difference is that for batt. ign there are 2 terminals on the back of the switch, and for mag. ign. there is only one!
choke looks to go behind to the inside on this one too, I know its still factory original! thanks; sonny

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:16 pm

it does have the light switch but it is 3 position. it has a distributor witha alt. lucklely the hood has not been chopped. instead they just took it off. the starter button is down by the tranny beside the post. i guess they wanted the choke rod to go around the outside of the air breather, it looked like it had been bent opposite. it just didnt hook up right.

i know what the run/off switch looks like but this one is gone. where was it supposed to be mounted? the post has been replaced with a galvanized pipe. the light bar is there and the pump rod and bracket and the panel box with amp gauge and light switch. would it of been mounted simular to a B? none of my books shows a close up of the dash area.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: questions about H

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:48 pm

2 Busy wrote:It is a 1941 distillate originally. The small tank is not hooked up to anything. But if i ever get it running i would like to use it as a reserve tank if possible.

It's possible to use the distillate tank as a reserve. I'm kind of in the opinion that I would keep the tank and not use it as a reserve. 1) Today's gasoline doesn't store very well. 2) Expense involved in making sure the shut off worked, tank clean up, and the cost of the plumbing.

If the H still has the duel fuel manifold and carburator - It would be kinda neat to have it in working order - for show.

Eugene with an indefinite opinion.

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:08 pm

well the manifold is pretty trashed. cracks everwhere. It is going to need a new (used) one .i don't know if it is the right carb. anyway to tell.

it looks like the shutoff on the main tank has an extra threaded port but it is plugged off

it's going to be one of those fun prodjects getting that manifold off,nuts rusted to a roundish shape.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: questions about H

Postby Rudi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:31 pm

2 Busy:

I don't have too much on the Cub Manual Server in regards to H-HV's, at the moment, but as the stuff becomes available it goes up.... however, I do have the TC-27D Parts Manual on the server, and it will probably answer much of the questions you have indicated above.. so I hope that might be of some help :!: :idea: :?: :?:

As for your comment:

i know this board is slower than other sites but i tend to get chastised for not having the manuals. they are on order

I am not sure exactly what you mean. Slower than what sites and slower in what :?: :?:

Chastising for not having manuals... NOT.. at least not here.. we may from time to time remind people that having your own set of the 3 most common manuals needed for your Cub, or for any other tractor really, is a good thing to have, but nobody is going to chastise anyone for not having em... Also, that is one of the reasons for the manual server.. so while you are waiting on your manuals (and waiting can be anything from waiting for the to arrive in the post, or waiting to have enough extra cash saved up so YOU CAN get YOUR OWN manuals), you actually can have access to the important information that you need.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:03 pm

Sounds like the H was rolled a few times, like one of my cubs, and did a number on the steering support pipe!----and a few other things!
thanks; sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:17 pm

41 H would have had a hollow rod for the throttle. If it still has dual fuel carb there should be a petcock type drain on the side near the bottom. There was an attachment that made the early style starter switch easier to reach with your foot. there is one on Ebay now.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:12 pm

It does have the petcock drain .

Rudi, i was only commenting that this board doesn't seem to have quite as many folks posting on the letter series tractors. Just like it has more cub folks posting than some of the other boards i visit.

Usually, if you get to asking alot of questions(on another site) some one usually pipes up and tells you to get the manuals amd read them instead of asking alot of questions.not pointing any fingers at anyone.

I've got the manuals ordered, but was just tinkering on the H and was curious about some things. I have never ran or owned an H and it is a little different configured than the cub,super a

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:07 am

thats what makes farmallcub.com so different... we accentuate the positive..

hey wasn't them lyrics from a tune???

Sometimes, the posting on the other Letter Series gets a bit more often, depending on what is going on I guess... many of our members to have them... part of the addiction I guess..

Keep playing with your H.. there are lots of guys here with lots of experience on them.. :!: Thanks for clarifying.. I was kinda unclear on that.. and confused...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:24 am

Glad we got that cleared up.i tend to confuse myself sometimes.

the lyrics were from Alices Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:20 am

As Rudi said, many on the forum have letter series tractors or are at least familiar with them. We never seem to have a lot of discussion on them but even though we are more cub-focused, most of us enjoy talking about the letter series as well.
We will try to make anyone welcome if we can.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”