This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

seat time plowing! Farmall H

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

seat time plowing! Farmall H

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:00 am

Well Last night was my first time ever plowing with the H. I am in my early 30's and I have saw my dad plow many times. He used to farm our place and help my Grandpa farm across the road but this was before I was old enough to remember 60's and possibly early 70's It was always reneted out since I was old enough to remember.
We have 2 H's and dad hold sold the broke down M just before I started getting into tractors. Since then we got his old H running and completly did a working restoration on my grandpa purchased new in 1948 H.
I say working restoration becasue we did the best job we could knowing we were going to use it. It has a very peppy rebuild in it and I like it!
Well my house sits on 5 acres on the south end of my dads property mom and dad gave it to me to build my house. The land was in CRP (federal set a side for years) I decided this year that I was going to put corn in on about 4 acres. I am hoping to get my uncle to run the corn and try burning it in my corn stove. I tried burning 15.8% moister and it did good so I am hoping I can burn this stuff.
Anyway back to plowing, Dad started out getting things set up. Its kind of a lost art for us younger guys. I would have never know to set the plow height differnt on my first round then raise it up I think is what he did after the rear tire had dropped in the furrel on the second round. We were using my grandpas restored H I was pulling an IH 3 bottom plow dad said to do it in second gear but of course I had to push the envolope and drop it in 3rd. I kept it in 3rd and it never missed a beat. I tell you what I give you older guys who spent many years with horses like my dad did in the ealry 40's and then the one bottom plows and so on and ever the bigger tractors with 2 and 3 bottom trip plows. There is a trick to get the trip plow to lift and drop. I finaly figured out with a lessen from dad you just give a quick jerk don't hold it becasue the plow will drop then lift back up and you have to turn around and start over. I have some to finish up tonight but did we have a great time. I think my 4 year old son is going to sleep for 5 days straight he followed along for hours behind the tractor far enough behind that I felt safe. He was in the furrel pretending he was the "Big H" as him and I call it. The cubs are "little cubs" and then the "old cub" which is the 48 and the "new cub" which is the 56 cub.
I tell you I had a real good time and my dad would keep an eye and my son and sit with him on the tail gate sharing a cold sprite while I made my rounds. When I got done Dad and I shared a few cold Beers.
Tonight I bet dad will have the rest of the plowing down by the time I get out of work and I will have to use the Allis WD-45 yes an orange tractor because I need the power to pull the big disk plus the live hyd's are nice to lift the disk.
Hope I didn't take up to much time with my little story and sorry about jumping around with it. I just wanted to express how much fun I had with my dad and my son plus the fact that I think my granpa was probably looking down with a smile seeing us there using his tractor!
I also want to give all you guys who farmed in the 40's,50's,and 60's with this older equipement! All though I had fun I don't know how you could hold a job and farm part time. It would take days to plow our other 35 acre feild!
Keep on using the old iron!
Chad
"don't find fault, find a remedy"
1948 Cub, 1945 A, 1955 100

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:01 am

If some one can post a pic for me I will email it to you! I can not do it from work. Its a pic of dad and I with the tractor just not us plowing.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:06 am

Where are the pics????I wish I had a little more land to get a plow for my H.Right now its stuck to a medium size garden.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:22 am

Sounds like you had a great time. Nothing better than with your dad and son. To add grandpas old tractor to the mix is just made in heaven.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:40 am

Ketchem
you can get the plow get a 2 bottom on steel? dad has plowed the garden for as long as I can remember with the 3 bottom and the H and it isn't that big! I have the cub and one bottom and I think I have got to do it one time. The H is faster as dad says!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:58 am

Chad - send me your picture. And congratulations on the fun evening!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:07 am

And here it is!

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:53 am

Living where the soil was red clay and rock we only pulled a 2 bottom plow with our H. It was a Little Genius on steel, and is soon to rejoin the restored H. a couple words of warning, make sure the trip rope is attached in a manner that it will come loose if the plow strikes something and breaks away. If you want a real thrill, be pulling on the rope to raise the plow at the same time it trips the break away. You will be amazed how long your arm can get.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:14 am

Great Pic Thanks!!!Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

dracer398
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48706

Postby dracer398 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:09 pm

Chad,

Thanks for sharing that story, It brought back memorys of when my grandfather taught me how to plow. I was only somewhere around 12 years old then (48 now). I didn't get to do it much because it wasn't long after that he quit planting his wheat. He had an old John Deere LA with a single bottom plow on steel wheels.

Thanks again,
Brian
1951 Farmall Cub, 1979 International 184 with a 1050A Loader (Thanks JP Tractor salvage), 1945 Farmall H, 1934 & 1935 F-12's

jwal10
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jwal10 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:58 pm

Nice looking H. Mine is a 52, live hyd. I pull a 2-16" hyd #60. Thanks for the picture. Enjoy the time with the H, your father and the little one....James

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

ploughing with an H

Postby Ida Red » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:21 pm

That is a great story. Keep enjoying those days with your Dad and son. That H looks mighty fine and I am sure the pic was taken before you turned a furrow. I have never turned a furrow but attend the oldest match. At the 99th in 2007, near Ayr Ontario, my brother Vern and I judge the vintage tractors turning furrows there. Some year I hope to turn a furrow at this match and let someone else do the judging. Red
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”