This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newly aquired 1943 H !!!!!!!!!!!

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Newly aquired 1943 H !!!!!!!!!!!

Postby deputy jailer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:48 am

Well its taken me a bit to get my camera back from the wife but I finally got some pics of my new H this weekend.

The story:
My aunte plays country music for a living. Recently she retired from it and gave me all here equipment to do whatever I wish with it.Beings that I don't play anymore, I just stored it until I could find a buyer. We have a good friend that comes in the alternator shop almost daily,Shannon would be his name. He heard me talking about about the sound equipment one day and became interested in it for his son that plays. After talking with him, he said he had a tractor he would trade for it. So after a bit of back and forth, I got it on an even swap for the sound equip. I got a 5 ft bush hog, disc, plow, and box grader. It has a 3 point hitch and control with it.. :D :D :D
After talking with him at his house he told me the history behind it. His grandfather purchased the tractor before he was shipped over seas in WWII. He came back an injured vet. and was unable to use it. So Shannons father used it until he died and then Shannon aquired it. He grew tired of it but never advertised it for sale. He felt that he should pretty much give it to someone that would take care of it and I guess he put that confidence in me.....So here he/she is

One question...Should the hood have this much gap in it :?: I see no way of getting it out.
Last edited by deputy jailer on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill E Bob » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:52 am

Congrats Podge, you're one up on me :lol: Nice lookin' machine
(even though the picture is filtered on my end :shock: ) Good
story too!! Know you'll take good care of it.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:03 am

Congrats!!!! have a 50 H and love it!!.The motor needs rebuilt but still does a ok job.Mine has a gap to not quite that big though.That is a big step-up from a cub.Bigger fun I'd say.Couple oh H sites on the web.8 gallons of gear oil in that rear end!!!Mine looked real good,probally should not have changed it.Oh well, I now know its good gear oil.Hope ya have fun with it.Kevin :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Newly aquired H !!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 am

deputyjailer90 aka podge wrote:One question...Should the hood have this much gap in it :?: I see no way of getting it out.

That looks excessive. As I recall, the upper part of the radiator is braced with a pair of tie rods. The rear of the rods go into to a bracket and are held with a pair of nuts. This allows some adjustment of the length of the rods. If the rods are too long, it would push the top of the radiator forward. Since the grill attaches to the radiater, it will be pushed forward as well. Fixing it may not be as simple as just turning the nuts, as the upper radiator hose etc. get involved.

In any case, that is where I would look first. You have a pertty good looking tractor there. Have you determined what year it is?

Here is a good site to start with for Farmall H information. http://www.farmall-h.com/

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:25 am

My thought is the same as Jim's. Additionally the latch on the right side doesn't look like it's latched properly. That's pretty common but they look a lot nicer when the metal is all lined up. You'll really enjoy the H.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:33 am

Jim and George

the j hook is broken off on that side. I thought it did look excessive. Its a 1943 ( ser number 134587) model. I have to say I really enjoy it. Itake a look see at what youre talking about there Jim. If I can't fix I probably won't worry about it too much :D

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:21 am

That gap means the radiator has been off the tractor at some point and not properly lined up after reinstall. Its a little more than just adjusting some rods. First off you will need to drain the antifreeze. Than loosen upper and lower rad hoses and the tie bolts too. Last loosen the rad mount bolts. Now repostition the hole mess with trial fitting the sheetmetal as you go. When you get it where you like it secure everything and put the coolant back in. Been there done that myself. I learned the hard way.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:26 am

Sorry I forgot to mention something. To get it all right you may need to adjust the tank also. I would plan on that as the tank may be in the rearward position giving you the worst case senario. The latches pick up on the tank in the back and the rad in the front so all need to be right for the gaps to be correct.

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:01 pm

thanks fellas, i'll take alook see in the near future...hope it goes ok at the least :?

ih-cubcadet-man
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61957

Postby ih-cubcadet-man » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:08 pm

nice story on the h its got a great new home
1955 cub with fast hitch
1953 super c with fast hitch
1957 300 utility with fast hitch
1967 cub with fast hitch
and several ih cub cadets

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:30 am

I think my H may too much gap too!---now I gotta look next time I get to the farm!----You have a nice looking tractor!--I like "H's" --just have problems getting on it to drive, so it don't get used much anymore! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”