This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission on H

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Transmission on H

Postby deputy jailer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:34 am

Well the Demo is getting ready for the paint booth this week and i thought I would get a head start on the next project. My 43 H is in great shape and needs some tweeking on the sheet metal before I can sandblast but. The transmission works great in 1 2 and 3 gears and reverrse. When put in 4 gear it goes good also until you pull a slight grade and it jumps out. 5 gear is a no no, its grinds to beat the band when you try to put her in there. I am sure its nothing that cant be fixed but havent really been that far in an H before. What should I look for. I am sure I will find a few teeth gone or worn to no end. Are there any tips or tricks to the ol girl. Any in fo is of course appreciated fellas :D :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51646

Postby RustyFarmall » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:09 am

I am thinking that since both 4th gear and 5th gear are effected, there may be a problem with the shift rail, but you will never know until you pull the cover and have a look inside. Usually, when it jumps out of gear under a load, the gears are worn out.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:40 am

Shift rail/fork certainly needs to be checked. However, there is another place to expect trouble. The H transmission works like the traditional automotive unit, in that high gear is a direct drive. The input shaft couples directly to the output shaft (like a Cub PTO). There is a carrier bearing between the input and output shafts, It is a likely problem if the transmission won't stay in fifth. Fourth gear is the reduction gear closest to the bearing, so it may be causing the problem in fourth as well.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:01 am

:Dito: to what has been said, plus the tranny deck is very heavy, you will need a hoist to lift it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”