This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Distillsate fuels

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmall Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21904
Tractors Owned: 1941 l H (Dual fuel)
John Deere 332 (Diesel)
Ex-Mark 60'' Turf tracer

Distillsate fuels

Postby Farmall Mike » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Hello everyone, recently sold my cubs and moved up to a Farmall H so I could do some pulling. It is the Distillate model.

I was wondering if anyone knew if you could run straight diesel, or a gas+diesel mix instead of kerosene. My only reason for asking is because off-road diesel is a lot cheaper to run than Gas or kerosene. And my dad's business has a good sized diesel tank for running a big compressor.

If anyone knows something about distillates let me know please.

Thanks, Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Distillsate fuels

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Use the search function at the top of this page and type in distillate. 16 posts will pop up. Or maybe 57 posts.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:58 pm

In the late 40s and early 50s I frequently drove a John Deere all-fuel model. We used the kerosene of that day. I would not suggest heavier fuel. Frequently going without a shirt to work on my tan, in hard pulls the tractor would spit out tiny black droplets that left me looking quite freckled. And the crankcase oil level would often rise due to unburned fuel getting in the oil.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 am

Distillate was before my time but it likely is similar to kerosene for vapor pressure. Diesel and gasoline are essentially on each side of kerosene for vapor pressure. Mixing gasoline with diesel will not change the vapor pressure of the diesel component. It may not evaporate and vaporize well enough through the carb discharge nozzle. On the other hand, it will not damage the engine so you have really nothing to lose by trying other than a gallon of your mixture.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:36 am

Have you investigated how your state adjusts/compensates/deducts the tax for off road fuel usage?

If you read the 57 distillate posts, you found out that the engine must be started and operated on gasoline until it's up to operating temperature. Then switched back to gasoline during the engine shut down.

I have a dual fuel Allis Chalmers that my dad and granddad used on the farm. Guessing, they quit using the kerosene feature in the early 1950's and operated the tractor on regular gasoline. Again guessing, it wasn't practical to store two different fuels on a small farm when all of the other machines used regular gasoline.

Farmall Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
John Deere 332 (Diesel)
Ex-Mark 60'' Turf tracer

Postby Farmall Mike » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:35 pm

The idea was that i would run it on the off-road diesel we have in a large tank.

Its about $.25 less per gallon than on road gas. If they made a version of off-road gas i would use that, but I guess states are assuming modern farmers run all diesel motors.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:15 pm

In Mo. you can file a form with the state and get a refund on taxes for fuel used.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Farmall Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
John Deere 332 (Diesel)
Ex-Mark 60'' Turf tracer

Postby Farmall Mike » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:34 pm

I would imagine its like that in most parts of the country. It's not like I'm burning 500 gallons a month or anything.

I just figured it would be cool to run my tractor on something cheaper and more fun (Diesel).

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”