This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Restored Little Genius with latest 1942 H Distillate

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Restored Little Genius with latest 1942 H Distillate

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed May 11, 2011 6:53 am

Just aquired a non running 42 H , little tlc and runs klike a champ, have some shifter difficulties , keeps loosing sequence and locks up , have to keep taking shifter out and setting back to neutral,
Will deal with the tranny later. but plowed with our restored plow, worked Great!
Now the plow goes in storage till fall plow days , Sept in our area.
Phil

Before

1942 H Distallite and Restored Plow
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Restored Little Genius with latest 1942 H Distillate

Postby OliverFarmall » Wed May 11, 2011 7:16 am

That's a nice job !
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed May 11, 2011 7:32 am

Awesome !!! I love it.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 11, 2011 8:42 am

Looks good PHil, and sure brings back some memories, though ours never looked that nice. We pretty well wore ours out over the years, It rolled enough ground that the trail wheel wore out on the side to the point that the rim nearly came off. I was working at the local hospital at the time and dug around in our junk pile and found a worn sprocket wheel off a clothes dryer that was just the right size to weld to the back. The sprocket teeth stuck out just a little and it left a funny trail behind it, but it worked. :D We learned that when plowing several hours a day with a narrow front tractor, that if you put a tire one size smaller on the right front than on the left it takes a lot of strain off your arms holding the steering wheel.

One word of caution if you are not familiar with trip plows, once they are a little worn, they will drop just when pulling the rope, it does not always have to be moving. It is a good idea at a show to raise the levers so the bottoms are on the ground to prevent meddlers from dropping the bottoms on someones foot.

If you are pulling the rope to raise it when it strikes a rock and tips the break away, you would be amazed how long your arm will stretch before you realize you need to turn loose of the rope. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed May 11, 2011 9:13 am

John
I found out about the trip hitch , I had this plow competely apart , the spring tripped on me , heard a load snap and looked behind and there she sat, a couple turns on the bolt and she held . I know not to tighten to much , it has to trip if it hits something that will damage the plow, I took severals advice to keep the line loose on the plow , for that reason alone,
It took three plows to make one good one , with spare parts salvaged, with scrap prices being what they are and the extra parts I sold I ended up with this one free and clear , apart from the paint.
It is an exceptional plow now, Will be taking it to our County fair to display behind our restored M
Phil

Rodney51Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1949 Farmall Cub
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M
1962 Massey Ferguson 65

Postby Rodney51Cub » Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 am

[quote="Phillip W. Lenke"]Just aquired a non running 42 H , little tlc and runs klike a champ, have some shifter difficulties , keeps loosing sequence and locks up , have to keep taking shifter out and setting back to neutral.

Might check the ball end of the shifter that fits into the shift forks for wear. Worked on one that would come out of the shift fork and try go into another because the ball was worn. Had to build up the ball with a welder and then grind down to fit. 8)
USAF 1976 - 1996

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed May 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks
That is what I have seen as well there is also a noise in 4th gear like gear hitting
Not sure what that is will have to take the top off to investigate
Phil

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed May 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Phil,

The plow looks great and I'm confident the H will look as well, soon.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Wed May 11, 2011 4:10 pm

So thats why that plow had the tooth drive furrow wheel. I pulled that rig some for your dad n now " I know the rest of the story "

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:02 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
One word of caution if you are not familiar with trip plows, once they are a little worn, they will drop just when pulling the rope, it does not always have to be moving. It is a good idea at a show to raise the levers so the bottoms are on the ground to prevent meddlers from dropping the bottoms on someones foot.

If you are pulling the rope to raise it when it strikes a rock and tips the break away, you would be amazed how long your arm will stretch before you realize you need to turn loose of the rope. :lol:

Maybe this should be in the safety forum. My son lost the end of a finger when that happened and the baler twine he had tied on the trip degloved it. Also, DO NOT tie the trip rope to the seat, use a piece of fence wire or coat hanger as an S-hook to hook it over. The seat spring can launch you pretty quick when the rope finally breaks. Don't ask how I know. John

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:25 am

Have plowed with a 39H that originally burned distalite but not by the time I drove it. M&W pistons and sleeves increased the compression. Did the little genius come on rubber? I thought that is what dad called the plow. Both the 2 bottom and the three bottom were on rubber. With the distallite tractors I have seen at shows only one still had the shutters. My understanding is that is a hard part to find. Vern

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:05 am

Later mode Little Genius plows came on rubber, but the early ones were on steel.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 am

The '45 H that I have that was bought new by my grandfather still has the shutters and all the linkages. Of course he removed the shutters years ago and put them in the barn, so they are in near new condition.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”