This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got a new toy

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Got a new toy

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:40 pm

There was an estate sale about 3 miles from me that was the estate of a couple that were a second set of parents to me in my younger days. One of the things in the sale was an IH HM221 cultivator like the one we had when I was still on the farm. There was only one other interested bidder and he stopped at $45, so it came home with me. It had been stored in an open shed with a dirt floor, for probably 40+ years, so it is going to take a lot of work, but I plan to have it finished and on Dad's H in time for the 2015 Red Power Roundup in Sedalia, Mo. My biggest worry is going to be whether the hydraulic cylinders can be salvaged. I am missing one of the power lift pivot arms as well a few other minor parts, but hopefully I can find them. Here it is standing in my temporary storage area till I can get it moved inside.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Got a new toy

Postby v w » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:09 am

John, That appears to be one of the cultivators built to hook to the steering. Is it and have you ever used one of them? Dad had an early (39) H that came with that type but either had bought different cults or changed the one he had. I do remember the piece connecting the steering to the cult was still sticking out when he sold the tractor. I don't remember that the cults looked like that but I do know that they were at first manual lift because when he first changed them the left side would lift quicker than the right. The mechanic for the dealer scratched his head for a while trying to figure out why one side was getting more oil then realized International had shipped two different sized cylinders. The larger diameter of course lifted first. I remember this as an addition to the cult not a new one but could be wrong. Anyway congrats on your new toy. Vern

Added. The H was much nicer to cultivate with than the M and was was about the only time I chose it over the M once I was big enough to be able to push in the clutch on the M, probably 11 or 12.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:14 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:There was an estate sale about 3 miles from me that was the estate of a couple that were a second set of parents to me in my younger days. One of the things in the sale was an IH HM221 cultivator like the one we had when I was still on the farm. There was only one other interested bidder and he stopped at $45, so it came home with me. It had been stored in an open shed with a dirt floor, for probably 40+ years, so it is going to take a lot of work, but I plan to have it finished and on Dad's H in time for the 2015 Red Power Roundup in Sedalia, Mo. My biggest worry is going to be whether the hydraulic cylinders can be salvaged. I am missing one of the power lift pivot arms as well a few other minor parts, but hopefully I can find them. Here it is standing in my temporary storage area till I can get it moved inside.

John, I have hydraulic cylinders that were on the 4 row mounted cultivators Dad used on the Super M. When he retired from farming he scrapped the cultivators and the cylinders have been hanging on the barn wall for at least 30 years. Let me know if you ever have any interest in them.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:19 am

John if any of the parts off my 2 cultivator orphans i got at the Cuba sale will fit they are laying on the old trailer and help yourself also got a spare lift cyl or 2 that are usable with maybe new hoses.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:15 pm

v w wrote:John, That appears to be one of the cultivators built to hook to the steering. Is it and have you ever used one of them? ........
Yes, it is the steering type, I believe IH called them a "shifting gang" cultivator, and I have lots of hours on the twin to it.

Denny Clayton wrote:.......
John, I have hydraulic cylinders that were on the 4 row mounted cultivators Dad used on the Super M. When he retired from farming he scrapped the cultivators and the cylinders have been hanging on the barn wall for at least 30 years. Let me know if you ever have any interest in them.
If they will fit I would be very interested, I will be very surprised if these are rebuildable. I will get some pictures and measurements, since these are kind of oddball cylinders made especially for the power lift.

Here are a couple links to pictures of the same model that people have refurbished.
http://www.knuckleheadquarters.net/hm221.html
http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14 ... =ascending

The blue is not quite right shade in the second picture.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Here are a couple links to pictures of the same model that people have refurbished.
http://www.knuckleheadquarters.net/hm221.html
http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14 ... =ascending

It looks like the guy in the first link is trying to mount a B-221 cultivator on a Farmall H.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Jim Becker wrote:......
It looks like the guy in the first link is trying to mount a B-221 cultivator on a Farmall H.
someone mentioned that in the thread that had the link to the pictures. I had looked through so much stuff I had forgotten about that comment. If my cylinders are not rebuildable it will not be too big a deal, that cultivator is a hand lift, and the power lift is an add on option.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:35 pm

As far as I know, all the old H and M lift-all cylinders used a simple cup type seal on the piston. The chances of being able to rebuild one is probably pretty high.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Jim Becker wrote:As far as I know, all the old H and M lift-all cylinders used a simple cup type seal on the piston. The chances of being able to rebuild one is probably pretty high.
I wasn't too worried about the cups, as I was pitting in the outer walls of the cylinders. That seems to be common problem with the old cylinders.

Here are more pictures of it. 2 sets of shields, very seldom do you find them with the old cultivators.
These tunnel shields are normally used with knife weeders, but there were no signs of the weeders or any of their hardware with it. The slide along the ground, with the pivots allowing them to stay in contact with the ground by their own weight.
steering hardware that mounts on the tractor, along with the front mounting brackets.
Steering mechanism. The arm locks into when the cultivator is lowered. This close up gives you a good idea of the general condition of the entire thing.
The optional power lift that runs off the Lift All system.
One of the cylinders minus the mounting adapter. A ram extends out the end of the tube on the right to lift the cultivator. That thing is 29 1/2 inches long end to end.
This arm attaches to the bottom of the liftall to support the end of the power lift mechanism, and moves forward as the cultivator raises. Unfortunately one is missing.
These plant guides keep the plants from leaning to the outside and being brokene off as the cultivator passes, but one is broken, but it will not be too hard to make.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:17 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:2 sets of shields, very seldom do you find them with the old cultivators.

DEFINE WITH !!!!!
10 Feet above isn't really "WITH". I seem to recall someone climbing up a half rotten 50+ year old stake rack to climb into the "attic" opening in the end of a machine shed and very gingerly crawl across an OSHA approved conglomeration of boards of varying sizes and questionable suitability for being able to hold themselves up, much less someone crawling on them, to retrieve the shields. Even the shields were spread out on the boards because both of them in the same spot would have exceeded the weight rating the termites could link arms and be able to hold the boards together.

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Scrivet most people pay good money to have an EXTREME workout like that n you get it for free.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:08 pm

I looked up and realized he was crawling over my head, and I did not even have a hard hat. You would be amazed how fast an old fat man can move when he is scared. :lol:

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:58 pm

I met Jim at the Red Power in Pa a few years ago...He got me in the right direction on my cultivators,,,Got the manuel there...I still have never hooked them up...1 acre garden is just not big enough to put them on..Cubs do a great job..I went to Kansas to get them [bought on Ebay].Has shields ,shovels.and even got a "spare" set of hyd cyls for a great price.They are rebuildable... no problem on the seals...When I worked at the IH dealer,,,the guys loved the "old" stuff!!!! Hope ya get it mounted,,,looks great when it is!!! I should put mine on for historical days in town here...Be nice to show all painted up with the plow behind it!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”