Please help me identify this tractor

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Danman 73
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75102

Please help me identify this tractor

Postby Danman 73 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:39 pm

I recently purchased a tractor that is in rough used but still serviceable condition and which, through my own investigation , I think it is a 350 with Torque amplifier transmission. Serial number on the Wisconsin historical society shows to be built in February 1956 and the cast number on the engine shows to be manufactured in January of 56.
Motor number 362743r2
C-159
Head number 312514
2da. Between # 3 and 4 cylinder.
1-3-b. on block just below firing order.

Serial 23628. Sj.

I want to return it to working condition but someone has taken the starter off of it and I need to locate a starter it is been converted to a Delco alternator and I assume that this conversion change it to a 12 V system

So my questions are those the Delco conversion change what kind of battery it needs to be on it and is there a source for this starter it's a three bolt style at all I've been able to find is the two bolt style 6 V starters. So if there's a part number for the starter or a link to a source I could obtain one from. I'm not trying to make it a show piece. Just a working piece of equipment that I can use on my property.

I would post pictures but I can't see any button for posting pictures here so unless somebody can inform me as to how to do that I can't post any. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer on this topic

havoc1482
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Please help me identify this tractor

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:09 am

Are you sure the engine isn't a C-169 not -159?

It could be a 300, not 350. The 300 had the C-169 and the serial range for 1956 started at 23224 which would fit. And the 300 had the option of the Torque Amp.

Post some pictures of it, that would help.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:05 pm

It is definitely a 300. The C159 is probably a C169. Castings aren't always clear. Date code and serial number are right for a 1956.

6V starters work fine on 12V. There are a couple used starters on Ebay, and new ones can be purchased at 100's of tractor parts sites. Heck, JP might have a good used one on the shelf. They're a site sponsor.

You would use a 12V battery. Any 12V top-post battery that fits in the box will work. The box is huge so you can fit just about anything in there. Group 31.

Danman 73
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75102

Postby Danman 73 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:03 am

I only identify it as a 350, because the 350 was the only model with the serial badge on the right side. I've tried four to
Ones to post the pics, to no avail. I'll try again before I give up. This wouldn't affect it being the same engine, I'm guessing. Thanks for the help.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:14 am

Danman 73 wrote:.......I would post pictures but I can't see any button for posting pictures here so unless somebody can inform me as to how to do that I can't post any. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer on this topic

When you hit "post reply" and the typing box opens up, below the "save draft" "preview" and "submit" buttons below the box are two tabs "Options" and "Upload Attachment". Click on "Upload attachment".

Just follow along and "chose the file". Navigate to where you have it on your computer, I like to move what ever picture I want to the desktop to make it easier to find and know it's the one I intended and not my great niece's second birthday party.

Then "add file".

Back in the text typing box; move your blinking text cursor to where you want the picture and click "place inline".

There are some size requirements on the pictures so you may get a message about that. If so you need to use a photo editing program to save it in a smaller file size/different format. Some programs have a "best for email" or "best for web" selection when you make a copy of the picture and then go to save the copy of the picture.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:32 am

Danman, if you want to email me a couple of pictures I will post them for you until you get your posting problems solved. ejpuckett@centurytel.net
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”