This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

farmall h radiator installation ?

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

farmall h radiator installation ?

Postby brian kov » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:41 pm

I am working on getting this h back together , issue after issue I will prevail . seems the previous owner used some 3/8 bolts in the bottom for studs even though they are supposed to be 7/16 , so I drilled them out and cleaned up the treads perfectly and installed some new studs with permatex on them in case of any seapage . I have new pads and they don't seem thick enough , they are 1/4 . is there supposed to be something else on the top side of the bolster ? I have new springs and castle nuts . seems to me they should have already drilled the studs for carter pins if they want castle nuts on there , I may get some nylon self lockers before it is all said and done . I put it all together and with just the pads up top the bottom tank touches the bolster , this cant be right ?
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: farmall h radiator installation ?

Postby brian kov » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:25 pm

I ended up putting an extra washer under the rubber washer and It gave it the extra lil bit of height that I needed to clear the bolster with the bottom radiator tank . then put a washer on under neath the bolster too otherwise the spring flys up into the slot for the stud . I don't know why they don't give u that stuff when u buy the kit and another thing , they don't drill the hole in the stud for the carter pin that it clearly needed since they give u a castle nut . I ended up using some Loctite , tsc doesn't carry fine thread nylon self lockes ,that's what I was going to use .its so hard to get all of that stuff together under there let alone install and bend over a cotter pin .I was even doing this on the bench because I wasn't removing the wide front and adapter plate so I loosened and slid the bolster out of the frame rails instead just had to remove the bottom grease nipple ,it was pretty heavy with the bolster and the vertical steering rod plus the arm below for the wide front and the rad but it was doable .

I am glad it is done :worthy:
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Stanton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:48 am

I remember putting the round, rubber pad between the radiator and the bolster, but don't recall the radiator touching the top of the bolster. Since I have to replace my radiator, I'll be doing all this again anyway.

And yes, you have to use a fender washer or something to prevent the spring from disappearing up into the stud hole. Glad to hear you got yours all buttoned up.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:20 pm

Radiator for my H is at the shop now, but when it comes back I will be doing the same. Rather than buying the factory mounts I am cheap, and since I always keep an old truck inner tube on hand I plan to cut pieces of it to use a a cushion for the radiator.

Note, the radiator should not physically contact that bottom casting, or you will get to do it all over again some day. Those old 4 cylinder engines did produce quite a bit of vibration.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:30 pm

john , u may want to cut some thing thicker like a piece of side wall from a tire . it needs to be 1/4 to 3/8 . mine were 1/4 '' but like I said I had to add a washer to make it sit just a touch higher so there would be no contact made between the bolster and rad tank . the threads are 7/16''coarse thread in the bottom of the rad , maybe you could use the threaded portion of a long bolt and then u could use a 7/16'' coarse thread nylon sel;f locker so the cotter pin could be done away with . I hope any of this helps .

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:04 pm

I am going to use several layers of inner tube.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:47 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I am going to use several layers of inner tube.
I woulda thunk you would use a piece of spare tire. You've got plenty of spare tire too. :D :lol:

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:02 am

whatever you do use , just make sure it sits hi enough :D

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:06 pm

I got my radiator to the point of putting in anti freeze today , too bad it started leakin as soon as I put it in , should have had it tested . I found one hole in the core , easy to get to and I think I can repair it without removal ,the hose from the water pump leaking a lil too , tighten up the clamps a lil and it should fix that but the bottom rad pad has some seapage around it too , I even used permatex on the stud before installation . are these studs actually supposed to hold pressure and fluid ?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:18 pm

I know it is a little late to mention it now, but my preference is to put water in one (unless it is freezing weather) and run it a while to make sure everything is good before putting in antifreeze.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:56 pm

got a beautiful radiator at a local yard , not a scratch on it . I couldn't put water in it because with the ih wide front and adapter plate there is no way possible to get at the drain plug . had to use a couple aviation clamps though on the lower rad pipe , the whittick clamps just would not get tight enough to stop the seapage , even used a brand new pipe and hoses . after all of that it is holding fluid .

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Local lumber yard gave me some pieces that had been cut off new mudflaps when installing. Just the right thickness for the mounts.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:55 pm

That should work perfect

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”