Farmall H brake bands, one long side, one short side??

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
oldfarmkid
Zip Code: 29669

Farmall H brake bands, one long side, one short side??

Postby oldfarmkid » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello All, Bought a 1940 Farmall H, next project is brake band replacement. While doing a bit of research ahead of time found a curious comment at one site. Comment was made to (LOOK OUT when taking off bands, hard to notice there is a long side and a short side to the band.) It will go on either way but will work only one way. Anyone heard of this?? Not quite sure, short where to were, and long where to where. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall H brake bands, one long side, one short side??

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:10 pm

I suppose they were referring to the distance from each end of the lining to the corresponding pin hole. I always thought the proper way was fairly obvious. Just look at how the old band is installed before you pull it off.

oldfarmkid

Postby oldfarmkid » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Will do Jim, Just need to get the correct seals they say to replace while I'm in there.

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:04 pm

When I tackle a project I haven't done before, first thing I do is GET MY CAMERA!! I take photos before during and after every step of the way. Take them from multiple angles, too, because you may not even be aware of what you need to document...like orientation, or in your case...long end vs short end. Have fun and good luck!

oldfarmkid

Postby oldfarmkid » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Some times I make simple hand drawings, that way I can detail each piece or placement with notes and details I might forget. I'm no artist, and my drawings are laughable, but it works for me.