This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall B carb. question

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GeneL74
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby GeneL74 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:13 pm

Rudi wrote:
GeneL74 wrote:
I've not done a lot of mechanic work, but I love doing things myself if I think I can get the job done without fouling up something important! lol

I'm going to order the kit and I'll decide when it arrives whether or not I should attempt it myself.

Thanks again!

Gene:

On the gas tank, take it to a good local reliable Rad/Tank Repair Shop and have them purge, clean, fix and seal the tank with Red Kote. It will last for years and is well worth the price. Should be around $75.00US or about what the rebuild kit will cost. And it will help keep the crud out of the carb, so a rebuild won't be necessary again in the near future..

Rudi,

I wasn't having much luck finding a shop that would mess with an old gas tank, but a friend recommended a local engine/machine shop... He also does a lot of work on radiators.

I gave him a call and he said he has done old tanks and would have to order the chemicals if I want mine done (never did tell me the name of the chemical).... Anyway, he said he would do the entire process for around $70 and it should be done by the middle of next week... His shop has a great reputation for doing good work, so I am going to take my tank to him in the morning.

I just have one more question... I picked up a Fram inline fuel filter that I intended to put in the hardline between the sediment bowl and the carb., but since I am going to have the tank sealed up, do I really need the inline filter now?

I don't care to put it in, but between the new sediment bowl and the sealed gas tank, I may not need it now?

Thanks again!

Gene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:27 pm

Gene - with a clean tank and a good sediment bowl the inline filter should not be necessary. I'd go without it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Gene:

I just have one more question... I picked up a Fram inline fuel filter that I intended to put in the hardline between the sediment bowl and the carb., but since I am going to have the tank sealed up, do I really need the inline filter now?

I don't care to put it in, but between the new sediment bowl and the sealed gas tank, I may not need it now?

I am with BD on this one, as them in-line filters are nothing but a major PIT derrierre ... clean tank, clean sediment bowl, clean gas.. STEEL GAS LINE.. clean Carb.. RUNS WELL... :!: :!: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:54 pm

Don't take this the wrong way.

You could have cleaned and sealed the gas tank yourself for the cost of the RedKote. About $22.00. RedKote is available at some autoparts stores. It would take you a bit of time to do it yourself.

Directions are on the side of the container and there are several discussions on this board concerning the use of RedKote.

Eugene

GeneL74
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby GeneL74 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:47 pm

Bigdog and Rudi,

Thanks for the info on the filter.... I figured that was the case.

Eugene,

I love doing things myself, and after your post I checked into the Redkote chemical... I found it one place online for $31 a quart, and locally all I could find was some other brand that the local Napa carried.... Can't remember what brand it was (Johnson's maybe?) but it was $38 a quart.

The local guy is going to do the whole job for $70, so I decided not to mess with it no more then I would have saved, and he has done this before so I feel confident it will be done right.

Thanks again!

Gene

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 pm

the only place i have found Redkote here is O'Reillys auto parts. it is about $32 quart.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:00 am

Valu-Bilt has or had RedKote. Federated Auto Supply. Last quart cost me around $23.00 from Federated Auto Supply. I buy just about all of my parts, including tractor and other machinery, from Federated. I'm a very regular customer and I get a decent discount over advertised (NAPA) prices.

Gene. Understand. I'm retired and have the time, building, and equipment to do this type of job myself. I've done 3 fuel tanks with RedKote. I think it took about 2 quarts to do the three tanks. Besides that my middle name is cheap.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall B & BN”