This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

M Tire Help

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

M Tire Help

Postby JBall8019 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:14 am

Hi Guys,
I will be fixing a flat tire on the M this weekend. I think a nail is the culprit for the failure. Can tractor tires be fixed much like automotive tires with a patch and plug? or would i be better off in the long run taking the tire to a Ag service shop?
Thanks,
John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:31 am

Most likely, the tire has a tube in it. The tube can be patched and if necessary, the tire can be booted to prevent further damage.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:58 am

BD,
I dont think there is a tube in it. What is booting a tire?
John

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:24 am

JBall8019 wrote:BD,
I dont think there is a tube in it. What is booting a tire?
John

It would be very unusual, if not impossible for a 38" tire to not have a tube in it. My M has fluid in the tires and they are very heavy... heavy enough that I don't care to try to load them to take them to a tire place. Even though I'm nearly 71 and disabled, If I needed tire work, I would do it myself. The only question is how long it would take. (I rest a lot)

You may be surprised to learn that aside for their weight and the fact that the beads can be rusted in place, those big tires are actually easier to work on than smaller tires are.

A boot is a large reinforced patch for the inside of the casing.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:41 am

John, are you working with a front or rear tire?
Bigdog

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:10 pm

BD, its the rear left tire, and the rear tires are fairly new. my friend that brought the M over told me that he thought that the tire didnt have a tube when he got them replaced. I have never replaced a tube in a tractor tire before so i hope this will be easy :). I hope there is a tube in there because i can patch it myself. hey George, i am glad that you are still able to do the work yourself. I am 32 but i like to take alot of beer and smoke breaks in the barn!
John

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:09 pm

John, the nice thing about working rear tires is that you don't have to remove them from the tractor. They are easier to do while still attached. Just make sure your tractor is well supported. Once you get the bead broken the rest, as George said, is easy.
Bigdog

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:17 pm

I just removed a rear tire on the Cub last week and replaced the tube. I find it easier to do the job while leaving the tire mounted on the tractor. I picked up a nice 36" tire iron for 5-Bucks so that made the job much easier. I also did a 15" front tire repair 2-weeks ago and as George said, The bigger tires are much easier to dismount and replace than the smaller tires.

You can tell if a tire has a tube by the way the valve stem comes through the rim.
Then came Bronson

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:22 pm

On tires with tubes, the tube has a "cone" that screws on from the outside, which holds the valve stem in place. Usually a plastic or rubber "nut" that is somewhat cone-shaped. I don't think that M's were designed to be tubeless, but on the bright side, big tubes patch easier....
I bought a bead breaker and 2 spoon irons from Gemplers....work like a charm....I also bought some "goop" which turned out to be nothing more than condensed murphy's oil soap. So, I would save the money on the goop, and just buy a bottle of murphy's. It does lubricate the bead some, and make getting the front bead loose much easier, IMO.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:24 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:I bought a bead breaker and 2 spoon irons from Gemplers....work like a charm....I also bought some "goop" which turned out to be nothing more than condensed murphy's oil soap.

I forgot to mention I had to take the tire & rim off first to break the bead. My bead breaker is a 5-foot long 1X6 flat length of steel that I place one end on the tire close to the rim and then drive My truck up the steel on to the tire and the weight of the truck breaks the bead loose. If that dont work I use the outrigger on My Backhoe to break the bead. I use soapy water on the beads for ease of remounting tire on rim.
Then came Bronson

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:37 am

Hey Guys,
thanks for the tips! i was wondering how i was going to break the bead, i hope harbor freight has something useful. I was going to use an old brass hammer and some wood.
John

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:45 am

If you have a large C-clamp it makes a wonderful bead breaker.
Bigdog

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:59 am

hey bd i do have a large c clamp!!!! i didnt even think of that, thanks a ton!
john

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”