This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

M axel housing leak

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72455

M axel housing leak

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Hey guys my M has a leak coming from the bottom of axel housing.

The bolts are tight it has leaked since I bought it but I'm getting closer to priming and painting only have the rearend and axel left so I would like to fix it.

Is it possile to split the axel housing from the rearend slide it far enough out to replace the gasket? With out have to take off the wheel. I don't have a jack big enough to hold it up.So I was going to use the wheels as the jack.

I could slide the the hub out farther to give me more room.

Anyone ever done this? Is the housing holding anything inside other than oil? Whats going to fall out? I've never been inside a rearend before.

Any advice is better than what I have now.

Thanks TJ
1972int.cub , c-3 int mower , 54a blade
1950 M farmall "under construction"

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:35 pm

Not what you want to hear. You will need a jack to support the M under the tranny case. That housing provides support for the tractor, which is the reason it is so heavy and if you unbolt it, the tractor will sag on that side, damaging the bearing, and maybe breaking the axle, possibly endign up laying on it's side..
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJ » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:25 pm

:censored: Thanks John It was a thought guess it will have to go to the shop. Just thought I'd see if it could or has been done .

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: M axel housing leak

Postby schmibm » Fri May 02, 2008 3:48 pm

That is not an easy fix.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJ » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Well it took me 3 years but got around to fixing that rear end leak. Just incase someone else has the same problem . Picts to come when i learn how to do it again .

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJ » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Ok so it took me a few years but have finnally gotten the axle leak fixed .Heres some pictures of the project . One thing to keep in mind if you do this is to have plenty of lifting power and blocks.I had a huge floor jack, cherry picker and overhead hoist/crane .

top plate removed looking into rear end. The one bolt painted yellow holds the gear on.

Everything from engine back had to be pulled off .In order to remove top plate and to take one bolt out of bull gear.

Axle removed

My helper over seeing the repairs .

Axle out

The hardest part other than the wieght of things was getting axle splined back into the gear.

BTW also replaced the clutch I was in a warm(borrowed) shop so sue me ...lol Image

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”