This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help with Farmall 450

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Help with Farmall 450

Postby Trent M » Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Dad and I pulled my grandpa's old 450 to our barn today. It was parked 5 or 6 years ago. Dad said he thought because it had a knock in the engine. My uncle claimed it was because of governor surging. Dad took the left side and cleaned up the carb, I took the right side and tuned up ignition and set timing. After just a couple of hours it was running, pretty well too. Good news was, no knocking. The bad news, it surges. If it was a Cub, I would have adjusted the gov-to-carb linkage, but the bigger tractors are not the same. We played around with the carb adjustment, but didn't fix the surging. Anyone have any suggestions on things to try?

Also, I don't have a manual for it. The front pulley has 4 timing marks and I wonder what they are for. Are there multiple advances? I picked the first one and set the distributor using my multimeter. I guess that was TDC, because it started right up. Would I be correct in assuming that the last one is full advance and I can check with the timing light at full throttle on that mark?

Thanks for the help. It was a great day to spend time with Dad in the barn and then hear the old Farmall run!! :D
Trent McPeak

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Help with Farmall 450

Postby Cub parts man » Fri May 30, 2008 1:32 pm

Trent

I have a 450 diesel manual that is original. The front cover is drity. The cost is $40.00 and that is with shipping. send me a pm if you want to order this manual.

Norm

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Fri May 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Dad just wants to sell the tractor. What does it say about the timing marks? How about the throttle/gov/carb adjustments? :D
Trent McPeak

Cub parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cub parts man » Fri May 30, 2008 2:33 pm

Trent

It says about the timing. Have # 1 piston at top dead center there sould be a mark on the pulley that should be a the timing pointer the mark has DC on it. Has for the throttle /gov could not find anything about that in the manual.

For the carb,the speed of the engine when operation on gasoline is controlled by the amount of opening of the air valve. The space between the air valve and the body of the carb should be not less than 3/32 inch, or greater than 7/64 inch for this engine. The fuel level in the carb should be not less than 13/32 inch or greater than 7/64 inch from the top of the bowl. The top of the float when properly adjusted will be approximately 9/32 inch form the top of the bowl.

This is right out the the manual. I hope this will help you.

Norm

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Fri May 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey! Thanks Norm. :D I'll have to check the mark for a DC!! I bet the governor linkage adjustment is in the service manual.
Trent McPeak

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Fri May 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Email sent.

red56turbo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52742
Tractors Owned: Check out my signature!

Postby red56turbo » Fri May 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Trent,

Pull the side cover off the govenor. Sometimes the springs inside can break or parts become loose due to wear. I would start there and look things over. Are you sure you want to get rid of it, being your grandfather's and all. Hate to see you in a couple years wanting it back for sentimental reasons, and not being able to find it. Good luck!!

Red56
Tractors in the stable: '62 560D Cub Cadets in the stable: 782D, 1572 SGT, 1772 SGT, 1782 SGT

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Fri May 30, 2008 10:58 pm

Red56- I'd love to keep it. Has fasthitch, power steering, TA (worked before it was parked, haven't tried it yet), VERY nice matching Firestones on front and rear, all the emblems (except for one of the small "McCormick" ones, might find it when I look deeper), and very nice sheet metal. Nothing is broken or welded on it. If it were a 57 Cub or LoBoy with FH in the same condition, you can bet I would try to strike a deal with Dad!! As it stands, he just doesn't have the need or space to keep it. We do have grandpa's big MM M670 Super that we'll keep though.

As far as the governor goes, that would be the next step, to take the plate off and check it out. I thought I would try the adjustment first.
Trent McPeak

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”