governor rod

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 am

i'm having an adjustment problem with my 450, and the thought occurred to me that the rod from the carb to the governor might have been changed by a PO. it measures 24.5" total length, so about 24" center to center. the parts book does not give length, of course. anyone got an M - 450 and can measure it for me? thanks

Re: governor rod

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 am

Hi Art,

The governor and carb on a 450 are connected by a short tube with a rotary shaft inside. The shaft rotates to open and close the throttle butterfly in the carburetor.

There is no rod running from the carb to the governor.

None of the other throttle linkages have any effect on governor response, hunting, surging, etc.. The only adjustment there is the position of the throttle lever.

What sort of adjustment issues are you having?

Re: governor rod

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 pm

i mis-spoke. i meant the rod from the governor to the cross-tractor linkage