This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SU. M 's

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

SU. M 's

Postby SONNY » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:41 pm

The M's at the farm retirement sale 3 miles north of here brought $800 for the PAIR.---one was a 51,-they said it was a super M, 51 went for a few bucks more than the other,-- the other also was thought to be Super, but nobody at the sale knew for sure!
The 51 had EVERY mod. that M & W ever made for the farmalls,--9-speed, oversized pistons and sleeves, oil pan, etc.
I wasn't able to go but a buddy of mine did!---the weather was crappy, wet/fog/cold/etc.---NOT a good sale day! thanks ; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: SU. M 's

Postby Super A » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:37 pm

That makes me sad! I'm sorta thinking about getting a Super M again. I paid WAAAAY more for mine back around 02-03, found something else IH I wanted, sold it off, etc. etc.
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:35 pm

A 51 should be an M not a super M. I have a lot of time in the seat of a 51 M. A little time in the seat of a super M. The super M has a lot more power. Unless someone changed the decals an M would have the letter M in white on a red background within a white circle. A super will have a white circle with M reversed out and will be in red. Super M's were built in 52 and 53. A nine speed trans is nothing but an overdrive on the trans jackshaft and has very little use. Dad had one on the M. It could be used in 1st overdrive for dragging with a 5 section spring tooth. 4th over was used for pulling heavy loads downhill. 5th gear was not affected. M&W pistons was used mostly for bringing older models up to date. A lot of the early models were built to burn distillate which became unavailable after the mid 1940's. Their compression was quite low and so was their power. The piston's were also quite popular at overhaul time. Vern

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:49 pm

v w wrote:A 51 should be an M not a super M. I have a lot of time in the seat of a 51 M. A little time in the seat of a super M. The super M has a lot more power. Unless someone changed the decals an M would have the letter M in white on a red background within a white circle. A super will have a white circle with M reversed out and will be in red. Super M's were built in 52 and 53. A nine speed trans is nothing but an overdrive on the trans jackshaft and has very little use. Dad had one on the M. It could be used in 1st overdrive for dragging with a 5 section spring tooth. 4th over was used for pulling heavy loads downhill. 5th gear was not affected. M&W pistons was used mostly for bringing older models up to date. A lot of the early models were built to burn distillate which became unavailable after the mid 1940's. Their compression was quite low and so was their power. The piston's were also quite popular at overhaul time. Vern

There were some '54 Super Ms as well.

The very last Ms had disk brakes just like the Super M. You had to watch the serial numbers to be sure. Yes if I had to choose I'd definitely go with the Super M, preferably a stage II with battery under the seat and live hydraulics!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:43 pm

They said both of these had the battery under the seat and live hyd. on them!---I hadn't seen them for many years and thought they were traded in for the new stuff that he had!---even if they were only M's at that price I would have bid a little on them, BUT cant rule the weather or the ole body, so I didn't make the sales! thanks; sonny

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:29 pm

I saw this auction and wanted to go but could not get the day off. I told the auctioneer I would give $800 for the one with all the M&W stuff on it but I missed out. They were both Farmall M's, only one had M&W aftermarket features on it. I am looking for a 9 speed for an H and then I will built my own M&W Tractor. Not in a real rush though. If money wasn't so tight I would have gone to $1500 on that M.

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”