What's the fuel tank made from?

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

What's the fuel tank made from?

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:30 pm

The fuel tank on my Super M has a built-in "parts tray" (i.e. a large dent in the top) and I've had a replacement tank in my garage for it for a few years now.

Somewhere along the line the replacement tank got hit, which bent and broke one of the ears that holds the hood latch. No problem, it's steel right? I'll just weld it. The tank hasn't had fuel in it for several years so there were no fumes to worry about.

I could NOT get this ear to weld for the life of me. Cleaned it down to shiny metal. First I tried 7018, then 6011, then this "747" rod that supposedly welds anything to anything.

First off I couldn't strike an arc. Second off when I did finally get an arc, it made a high-pitched squealing noise like something from a sci-fi movie. Third off, the weld just absolutely positively would NOT stick to the ear. It chipped right off.

I ended up making a whole new ear out of mild steel and welding it to the corner bracket on the tank. That seemed to work but I still had a hard time getting an arc struck.

jsfarmall
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 72454

Re: What's the fuel tank made from?

Postby jsfarmall » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:04 am

I figured it's just thin mild steel. I cut my H tank open a few years soon coukd clean it out and welded back up just fine with 6011 even pressure checked it for leaks and was good. The ears though may be somethin else.

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”