This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help Identify Cub Cadet Mower Deck

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Help Identify Cub Cadet Mower Deck

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Stanton, in the video link above, has a very good how to on working on the deck.

Go ahead and remove and then disassemble the spindles. Inspecting will/should tell you what you need to repair them.

Parts should be available from the Case/IH or Cub Cadet dealership. Take a deep breath because parts are expensive.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Looks like you have steel spindles; don’t believe those are rebuildable. The aluminum gussets are exposed, in view under the deck, above the blades. If you find a parts deck, they’re easy to see below the deck.

I think replacement spindles may still be available.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Stanton wrote:Looks like you have steel spindles; don’t believe those are rebuildable. The aluminum gussets are exposed, in view under the deck, above the blades. If you find a parts deck, they’re easy to see below the deck.

Should I go ahead and paint this deck and use it as-is until it isn’t usable anymore? Trying to stay within a $700-$800 parts budget on this one and afraid id bust it with new spindles. I also have one more 44A deck I can check out......
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:37 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:
Stanton wrote:Looks like you have steel spindles; don’t believe those are rebuildable. The aluminum gussets are exposed, in view under the deck, above the blades. If you find a parts deck, they’re easy to see below the deck.

Should I go ahead and paint this deck and use it as-is until it isn’t usable anymore? Trying to stay within a $700-$800 parts budget on this one and afraid id bust it with new spindles. I also have one more 44A deck I can check out......

That's your call. You know your time/budget/goals better than I do.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Stanton wrote:
AL Farmall Boy wrote:

That's your call. You know your time/budget/goals better than I do.

I just didn't know if with that amount of play that the deck would work or not and if it would work, about how long would it last.

Do you know when IH changed the spindles to the rebuildable aluminum type? This garden tractor is a 1978 model, even though the deck could have been changed out.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:33 pm

I don't know the date of the switchover.

The only way you're going to know how long you've got is to run it. The more out of spec those spindles are, the more you'll hear it (wobble = vibration = noise).

Again, you'll have to make that call. It may come down to how long you can tolerate it.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Stanton wrote:I don't know the date of the switchover.

The only way you're going to know how long you've got is to run it. The more out of spec those spindles are, the more you'll hear it (wobble = vibration = noise).

Again, you'll have to make that call. It may come down to how long you can tolerate it.

Ok. I gotcha. I will be on the lookout for another deck in the meantime with the other type spindles. Too bad my grandfather gave this perfectly good deck away last year. I think it might have been a NOS deck too as it came from an old dealership owner. :shock:
Attachments
5.jpg
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:01 pm

from the photos....your deck spindles look like the original IH spindle. The smooth bearing cup on the deck underside tell me this. These are bearing # ST745 and are a grease able water pump style bearing. The ST745 bearing is not a tapered bearing/race setup. It is a 1-piece bearing with both ends of the shaft being threaded. If you need these bearing spindles pm me. I can help along with any other Cub Cadet parts (I'm a CC dealer).

The cast AL housing spindles with the tapered bearings are a CCC setup that came out in the 1980's. IH DID NOT have any spindle bearings for the 44 or 50 inch decks like this. These bearings have a ribbed housing (not smooth) on their under (deck) side.
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Thank you for the info Ken. I will try to call soon to discuss. It might be closer to time when I start working on the deck.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Return to “Cub Cadet”