This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loose PTO/Starter pulley

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Loose PTO/Starter pulley

Postby Ritter107 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 pm

My 107 was rebuilt with a 12HP K301A engine this summer. I have since had problems with the PTO/Starter pulley rattling and coming loose. I just rebuilt the PTO clutch on the front of the engine 3 days ago, and when I reassembled everything I ran into a problem. My PTO/starter pulley either sets too far back and rubs against the head of the bolt that holds the bracket for the starter generator, or too far forward, and is loose. This in turn is making my PTO clutch set rather precariously on the end of the crankshaft, or at least... it appears to be doing so. I have tightened all setscrews down in the order they should be, and no matter what I try... it just seems wrong. I really do not want to put my snow thrower on if I feel my PTO is sketchy at best. Anybody have any thoughts as to why everything is not fitting on properly? Cheers.
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:38 pm

Provided the end of the crankshaft hasn't been modified, the drive pulley hub (the pulley the belt from the starter generator goes to) should be 1-1/4" from the end of the crank on a 10,12,&14 hp engine. If the pulley is working loose, make sure the keyway in the crank and or pulley hub is not worn, which can cause that. Tighten the set screw that contacts the key first, then tighten the one that contacts the crank, Tighten to 12-14 ft lbs torque. The bearing for the PTO should be installed flush with the end of the crank, and locked in place with the locking collar. Turn the collar in the direction of crank rotation to lock the bearing in place, and lock it down with the set screw and nut. Slide the PTO clutch onto the bearing until the snap ring in the clutch is flush with the bearing. Install the cone point set screws in the clutch and torque to 60-72 in lbs, and the the three flat tip set screws on top of the first three and torque to 72-84 in lbs. Don't forget to install the 3 "P" shape anti rattle springs as you slide the clutch on the bearing. They go on the non drive side of the clutch disc lugs (left side as you face the front of the clutch) and the flat part goes against the cup of the pulley. Start the clutch on the bearing with the set screw holes lined up with the slots/holes in the pulley cup, put the spring clips in place (about 4 more hands come in handy here) and slide the clutch the rest of the way on the bearing.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:37 am

Hmm... that sounds about how i did it. I do worry that the bore of the PTO/Starter pulley may be worn, but i don't know for sure. I plan on taking it back apart tomorrow and trying it all again. Let's hope. Cheers.
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

Return to “Cub Cadet”