This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dual Wheel adapters

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Dual Wheel adapters

Postby Ritter107 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:16 pm

Has anyone made a set of dual wheel adapters for a Cub Cadet? I was looking to buy a set of adapters... but at 165 dollars, i believe making them would be a much better idea, considering i mainly want them for occasional use. I believe i could start by copying the bolt pattern of an old axle and from there it wouldn't be that difficult. Has anybody ever tried to make, or know where to obtain the special "2 sided" studs that are used on the dual adapters? I know of a place to get them, but at 50 bucks for a set... i'd like to look at options first. Anyone have thoughts/ideas on this? Cheers.
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:16 pm

I'm not that up on Cadets, but I have an original that I wanted to do that on, but as you mentioned, the prices are extremly high.... I would think that it wouldn't be that hard, because it wouldn't be going that fast so it wouldn't matter if they were a little off center. I would think that if you got a piece of pipe, and a few pieces of steel plate and welded, then tapped the holes that it would be fairly easy.... If my idea of the adapters are the same type as the Cub, what ever you do, don't forget to post some pics if you don't mind :?: I would also like to make some if time permits this summer :wink:

Johnny

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Dual Whel adapters

Postby wdeturck » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:40 pm

I have a drawing of the Dual Wheel adapter I can E-mail you. Send me an E-mail at wdeturck@verizon.net if you want a copy. on the special lugs they actually cost more to machine then to make the spacers. You could use fine thread threaded rod(get it at http://www.mcmaster.com/. use a lock nut behind the axle flange and either make spacers or use lug nuts ground to correct thickness to get correct dimension of special lug.

A friend of mine must to make them out of 12" plastic pipe and squeeze the between the rims using 4 all-thread in the wheel weight holes in the rim to clamp the spacer in. The hardest thing id cutting the pipe parallel.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:10 pm

Thanks, i'll e-mail you abotu it after the game tonight. For now... i'm gonna get back to praying. 8) Go Steelers! 8)

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Merk » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:48 pm

I made some metal spacers that goes between the rims. I haven't tried them out yet. If you send me an email at dmerkle@woh.rr.com I will send some pictures.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:59 pm

do you mean like the "Temporary Duals" that are used on farm tractors? The large rings that go between the rims and then j-bolts grab the rim and pull everything together through tension?

Merk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Merk » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Mine are base on temporary duals style. We had both styles on 2 different tractors when I farm. Both did the job. Each had there pros and cons.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:12 am

the only thing that worries me about using the threaded rod is that it won't have the bevel on one side to center in the bolt holes of the inner rim like the regular lugs do. Why can't this just be easy? :P

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:49 am

Try Madson's Service Inc., 114 S. 2nd Ave, St. Nazianz, WI 54232, 920-773-2661 and talk to Scott. You will probably find both the adaptor with studs, or just the studs, may be a little less than the prices you quoted, but if you want the original IH dual wheel adaptors and studs, or reproductions of the original type, the price will probably not be a whole lot less, unless you go with another type of adaptor. You can sometimes find copies on eBay starting about $100 without studs. The machining cost to make the original type studs with lugs is not cheap. You could try using threaded rod and a set of lug nuts to mount the inner wheel, and then another set of lug nuts to mount the spacers on top of that, and then the stock lug bolts to mount the outer wheel, but keep in mind most threaded rod is of Grade 2 material, and the lug bolts and nuts are Grade 5 or better. The price of big boy toys is usually not cheap :lol:

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:46 am

i think i figured out the studs.... I'll get a pice of RH Fine thread rod... take two matching Nuts... put a slight bevel on both sides of one, and on the other i'll bevel jsut one side. This will allow me to run the nuts onto the threaded rod(cut to length) and then weld the two nuts together on the rod by running my bead in the "V" that the bevel will form between them. After this i'll grind down the bead in order to allow a socket to fit over the lug in oder to tighten it down when mounting tires.

Once this is done... the lugs described above will thread in jsut as the normal ones do... although once the adapter is mounted they will force it to set out a bit wider. Specifically this will be the width of the second nut on the threaded rod. Next... a nut will go on outside the lip on the dual adapter and hold it on jsut like the factory ones do. The outside tire will go on with normal lugs.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but i figure i'll give it a go and see what i can sort out. Buying a few long graded bolts and nuts, and cutting them off to length is still cheaper than paying 54 bucks for 10 of the CC ones. :wink:

lonnyb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lonnyb » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:18 am

Makeing up a set of dual spacers aint as hard as it seems.
1. take exsisting lug bolt to local hardware and get 10 grade 8 bolts with the same thread, measure the length you will need for threading them in from the back of the hub to the flange to the dual spacer your are going to build, add extra lenght for 2 nuts, one will be a new lug nut other plain nut. Dont forget to get 10 each new lug nuts and regular nuts, gas aint cheap no more, take as few trips to the hardware store as possable
2. aquire 2 sets of axles from any cub cadet that does not have disk breaks.
3. cut axles off at the hub flange, drill out the threads in 2 of the flanges, center a pice of thick wall pipe, 1 1/2 or 2" pipe should work, besure to measure to make sure you have room for a socket on the nut befor welding pipe to flange, and that it is the length needed for the size tires you are useing. makeing sure to have at least 1 inch of space between the sidewalls of the tires, 2 inches probly would be best.
4. there you have it a new set of dual wheel spacers.
Is one cub ever enough ?

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:09 am

Woot, that's a good idea with the bolts threaded in from the back... i didn't think of that one. I hope it clears my disc brakes. If not... i suppose i could just play with it some and make a new stud using the same basic idea. I wonder how many folks are gonna have brand new dually's on their Cub Cadets by week's end! :wink:

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:04 pm

That Grade 8 bolt with fine threads all the way is not cooperating with me and my search locally.... :( May have to fine a place and order some 8)

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:29 am

Hi 107,
The best you will find is a 4 1/2" grade 5 bolt for $4.06 (92865A328) at http://www.mcmaster.com/ where you can buy a 36" piece of all thread 7/16-20(not rated) for less tha $3. I don't think you need any thing special to hold on dual wheel adapters.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:54 pm

rgr, I did fine a 7/16th wheel stud with fine thread on one side and course on the other today. I'm gonna play with it some and see what i can figure out. I want to try to copy the original dul sided stud as much as possible, but we'll see what i get to work with. Thanks for the info. 8)

Return to “Cub Cadet”