This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

not like they used to be

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

not like they used to be

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:38 pm

From the looks of the picture one just might think the bottom end Cub Cadet and John Deere were made my the same manufacturer. :D

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Looks like JD is OEM'ing from MTD................
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:35 pm

If I remeber correctly, the smaller JDs are beign made by MTD.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:16 pm

Well thank God my JD don't look like that one... I do not like the front hinge system, and that is definitely an inferior hinge. Had one like it on my Craftsman and wish I could have changed it for the one on my JD...

Brand names mean diddley these days it seems... bottom line who can produce it cheapest and sell it for the mostest :roll: :? :?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:20 pm

there should be a picture of a 60's JD, cub cadet, and wheelhorse and see how much better they were back then.
Image On To Bigger Things

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:49 pm

I think the Ad Agency took a little "the dumb public won't know the difference" license with their advertising, and used two Cub Cadets. The "JD" is the same as the Cub Cadet, including the emblem above the grill, and that sure ain't JD yellow on the deck. It is my understanding also that MTD builds the lowend JD's, but I don't know that as fact.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:36 am

It's kind of sad really. :( I saw a guy setting on a "GT1541" or something like that at a TSC today and i felt like telling him that it's not a Cub Cadet... it's a POS. It's sad to see the good CC's tarnished by the cheaper ones... and the same way with John Deere. Great garden tractors and now crappy lawn tractors too. :( God know's that GT1541 wouldn't stand a chance against the 782, even if it had 21HP. :wink: It was belt drive too... and still called a garden tractor! :shock:
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:16 am

While it is not nearly as structuraly solid as the older Cadets, My White (MTD) rig has given me several years of good service. In approximately 8 years of use I have only had 2 problems.
1- I had to replace the friction pad on the hydrostat lever to keep the handle from creeping, and
2- It caught on fire while mulching and blowing leaves. the only damage was 2 belts and some scorched paint, but I don't guess I can really blame the fire on the lawn mower.
Just remember, these units are riding lawn mowers, not "garden" tractors which the older CCs truly were.
Also as side note, the CC and JD in the picture are very similar to my 8 year old White, including the low mounted front muffler, which is what caused mine to catch fire. I was blowing leaves at night and they piled up in front of it unbeknowst to me. :oops:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Thomas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thomas » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:20 am

..and now our local Home Depot offers all three models. :roll:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:51 pm

Here is the link to the New John Deere Lawn Tractors available on-line: Residential, and this is the where you can find my JD 100 Series. It appears JD no longer offers these as they are only dealer stock items now.

It looks like the newer JD's are farmed out to MTD. The front mower mount is entirely different from the one that I have.. One of the reasons I liked my JD was the type fo deck it came with and the fact that this deck reduced scalping and is easily leveled.. For me that was important, as I had endured over a dozen years of constant scalping and there was nothing I could do to correct it. It was the Roper mounting system that was causing the problems and the MTD uses the same front hinge principle.

I am going to have to have a closer look next time I go to Home Depot.. or my JD Dealer.... yeah I know.. them thar is dirty words... but hey, it is just a lawn mower.... :!: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:48 pm

One thing to keep in mind, Cub Cadet, and I suppose JD and others(I don't know anything about them), still build models that are quality built, tuff and rugged, Garden Tractors, but you are not going to find those models at the big box stores, only at a Cub Cadet/JD dealer. The 3000 series Cub Cadet is built about as solid and rugged as the older IH built models, but are in the 5 grand and up range. In todays dollar's, that price is comparable to, or even cheaper than, what one of the IH built models cost in the dollar's of the day. As someone said on another forum, people will pay $3-$4-$500,000 for a house, but then want the cheapest "lawn mower" they can buy. The average person in todays throw away society is not looking for something built to last for years, they want something to cut grass with and when it is no longer functional a couple of years down the road, so what, go buy another one just like it. That's the market MTD is building for, and the market HD and others are selling to. Someone said, it is sad to see the Cub Cadet named used on the lower end mowers, and I agree. IH built, and sold, the Cub Cadet as a Garden Tractor, and then came out with the lower price, smaller size, Cadet line of Lawn Tractors and rear engine riding mowers as lawn mowers to compete with the other riding mowers of the day. The lowend models HD and others are selling are are the "Cadet" lawn mowers of today, and are basically being sold to the same type customers the Cadet was sold to. IH had the sense to market the two under different names, something MTD has not fully caught on to yet. Hopefully they will before it't too late.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:24 am

I fully agree with you Paul, and i was thinking the same thing after i'd walked out of that TSC the other night.

Chad NC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27587
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1969 CC125
1970 Gravely CI

Postby Chad NC » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:11 am

It's funny, I maintain our church's JD lawn tractor and when you are laying on your back struggling to change the drive belt it is amazing how much they all look alike - there doesn't seem to be much difference between the CC's, JD's and other MTD products. This JD is so light that I am seriously considering loading the rear tires to give some of the men a better chance of keeping it on all four wheels this year :)

Working on these makes splitting narrow frame hydros fun (something else that definitely helps you expand your vocabulary) I prefer the shaft driven garden tractors any day.
Chad

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:43 pm

Splitting a narrow frame's hydro.... *shudders*.... :roll:

Chad NC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27587
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1969 CC125
1970 Gravely CI

Postby Chad NC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Splitting a narrow frame's hydro.... *shudders*....

Yeah and since I managed to get the valve plate misaligned, I get to split the tractor once again and open up the hydro for the third time. If I am lucky I didn't damage anything - but hey at least the trunion shaft seal isn't dripping any more! Chad

Return to “Cub Cadet”