This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Anybody know...?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Anybody know...?

Postby Ritter107 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Anybody know who the manufacturer of the add on hydraulic lift unit for narrow frame Cubs Cadets is? Neighbor brought up the question and now i'd kinda like to know.
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48701

Postby R Bedell » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:40 am

International Harvester...!!!

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:18 am

I did know the pump manufacture but didn't write it down but I never found the company to be in existence. I have the installation manual and parts list I can E-mail you. Most of the parts are still available. Most of those units got broke when they had a batch of bad centering springs and the tips broke off and got in the pumps and ruined the gears. The Gears are NLA but I can supply you with information on making them out of oil pump gears. You can E-mail me at wdeturck@verizon.net. That same pump was used on Boleans and JD's but the rotation is the opposite directions the same as the starters.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:24 am

Mr DeTurck:

I am curiuous. Who is this alleged Vendor...??? :?:

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:22 am

Here s the maufacture of the pumps(Char-lynn) which is part of Eaton.
http://www.eaton.com/eaton_products/fluid_power_hydraulics.html

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:27 am

Mr DeTurck:

I don't see where on the link you posted, the page on the pumps that IH used. Can you narrow this down..??? :?:

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:10 am

R Bedell: Ritter only wanted to know who the pump manufacturer was and I was given that link which shows the company still exists but I don't think you will find any information available for a 40 year old pump. Some of those parts are still available through a Cub Cadet dealer and/or a Case dealer. I can supply the parts numbers. 3 different people supplied the information and the Char-Lynn company also made power steering pumps for the H & M IH tractors.

Ritter107
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ritter107 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:33 pm

Thank you Wdeturck
In IH Cub Cadet I trust....

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:52 am

Ritter:

I stand corrected. I received a number of emails from some friends of mine that are well experienced in the Cub arena, stating the Vendor.

What threw me was, that it has been my experience, that when IH Cub Cadet used a vendor for their production, IH used the Vendor's Part Number in the Parts Manuals. For example, IH used Kohler, B/S, and Peerless to mention a few.

All the parts breakdowns for this hydraulic pump, from the paper parts manual I have, to some on line parts sources, indicate either IH or MTD part numbers.

Thus, the conclusion I drew, was that it was IH built. Apparently this is the exception to the norm.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:29 am

R Bedell

Something to keep in mind about this, or other similar items, is what was the potential volume of sales of the item.

When IH was developing the Cub Cadet, and still calling it the CUB-ETTE, a Farm Equipment Division Industrial Equipment Development Committee Planning Report No. 35, Dated May 5, 1960 indicated that "development work on tools for the CUB-ETTE was to be confined to items of potentially high volume that were readily adaptable to our (then) engineering design and manufacture". At the time of the report," the rotary mower, dozer blade, lift hitch (what we now call a 3 point), trailer and front mounted PTO were the only items in that category". "The balance of the required equipment can be purchased from existing sources for resale until such a time that an increase in demand and other circumstances may warrant producing our own". It was cheaper for IH to buy low volume items (sales wise) than it was to to buy the tooling required to build the item. So a key is if it was a fairly low volume item, IH probably bought it rather than build it.

Some high volume items they bought anyway, rather than developing their own, such as the engines from Kohler, starter generators from Delco, hydrostatic transmissions from Sunstrand, etc. IH was big on adding items they needed from vendors to existing contracts, if that vendor produced what they needed. They even looked at buying a garden tractor from Wagner Iron Works (Little Giant), rather than building one, and adding it to the contract they had with Wagner for front loaders, back-hoes etc. but after testing one decided they did not want the IH name on one of them. A wise move because they were not much. In later years IH made crankshafts at the Louisville Works foundry, for American Motors. They also used some engines (401cu in V8 I believe) from American Motors in the light trucks.

On the part numbers, if you look in some of the early parts catalogs such as the TC-82 for the Original, or the TC-103 for the 70/100, you will find IH part numbers on everything, including all the Kohler engine parts and the Danco built front power take off and snow throwers. The vendor part numbers were used in later years, and really made more sense than assigning an IH number.

R Bedell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby R Bedell » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:35 am

Paul B:

THANKS for the explanation. This all sounds logical and makes sense to me. I knew IH had Vendor made items and know know some of the reasoning behind it.

Thanks again,

RB

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:56 pm

Your welcome, Roland.

Return to “Cub Cadet”