It does have issues I am afraid, but those issues are giving Gord and I some quality Buddy time and quality Cub time.. and for that I am glad
It is also providing me with some real challenges.. not just limited to the Steering Wheel Removal Problem.. but fabrication challenges. Literally learning how to do stuff in steel.. and I am really enjoying it. These little critters, although smaller than their larger Red or Yaller & White Cub cousins, share a lot of similarities and are great to gain experience on.
I am going to try to put together a little Project thread to see how this goes..
So on with the Cub Cadet 108 Project....
Gord's Cub Cadet 108.. minus the seat and hood.... a project already begun.
The first thing that we did on this project was on Monday. Starting to get some welding practice. I have not really been able to weld all that well, but I am starting to get the hand of it. I am also using an Arc (stick) welder and not a Mig with Argon Gas.. that is a few months away yet..
Figures the first one would be T-Bolts for the Hood, a difficult little job that requires a little more skill than I posses, but I had to try. They were completely missing.. so Gord cut up the parts and I welded em.. they fit perfectly.. boy was I surprised...
With that bit of success.. we went on to the toasted hinge replacement.. That is still a work in progress.. and after a couple failed attempts to line it all up, I think we got it, but it will be tomorrow before it gets done.. So this morning we decided that we would continue on with the QA-36A Snow Thrower Replacement Parts section of the project.
Gord is missing entirely the Chute Control Rod and the Rod Guard. The original rod was broken off just aft of the pin where it connects to the Chute Swivel Control, and in the pic below you can see the break. Sorry for the lousy quality.. but I am using my old Kodak that a friend sent me, cause Em won't let me use Her Digital... Just as good, cause I would probably get it full of grease..
Bruce gave us a clue as what we needed to use to start the fabrication..
This needed a few minor fixes. First it needed to have the female end bored out to accept a 3/8" Cold Rolled Steel Rod that would become the new Chute Control Rod.
The male end needed to be welded into a 3/8" Universal Threaded Union. The Union needed to be bored out to 3/8" as well to fit over the end of the broken shaft and also be bored out to accept a cotter pin to connect the two parts.
The next step was to test fit the individual parts after boring was completed and prior to the welding attempt
Success Shocked me all to heck, I can tell ya.. I am not used to these kinds of projects actually working.... So I guess it was time to bit the bullet, and take it over to Dad's to weld er up. I just bought the ground clamp I need for my Arc Welder and it isn't installed yet, to I have to use Dad's stick welder. That's okay, cause it is the one I am used to..
Here it is all cleaned up..
What is really surprising is that the universal still is a universal joint with movement on all axis on both joints.. unbelievable.. for me that is..
Here is the test fit on the Swivel Assembly..
And Gord fitting it to his QA-36A Snow Thrower.
I guess the point of this thread is to encourage those who haven't tried to fix up their Cub Cadets or in the other vein their larger Red or Yaller & White Cubs as well, to go ahead and try. It is tons of fun, you will learn a lot, and as you learn (hopefully with a buddy around to keep yer spirits up), new techniques and skills, you will become a lot more confident around your equipment. I know I sure am enjoying this.. and the time I get to spend with my Father-in-law Norman and my very close friend Gord.. is absolutley priceless.
Do have fun with this stuff.
We will probably continue with these posts as Gord and I progress through his Cub Cadet 108 Project... with things like the
- Chute Control Rod - Phase 2 (Hand grip)
Steering Wheel Removal
Front Hood Hinge Replacement
Battery Box Repair