This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Clutch for Cub 1450

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KevinW317
10+ Years
10+ Years

PTO Clutch for Cub 1450

Postby KevinW317 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:44 pm

Hello,
Does anyone know if you can or how to rebuild a PTO clutch. After re-winding, what do you pour around magnetic wires to protect? I would appreciate any advice I can get.
Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:14 pm

What you see on the clutch field coil is exactly what was originally used- hot plastic of some sort that was poured on top of the coil. I would think it to be an excercise in futility to attempt to rewind a PTO field coil. There are probably thousands of individual winds of wire inside there, and then if it actually worked what would you cover it with?

I looked on the C&G parts list and the 1450 used either an Ogura (silver in color) clutch or a Warner (black in color.) New Ogura field coils are not available and they say to replace the assembly with the Warner. The Warner is rebuildable, but a new field coil alone lists for $300.00.

Best bet on this is e-bay-- I see entire used tested good PTO clutches for Cub Cadets there all the time, at prices anywhere from $10-50, it's generally an easy part to find there, the 1450 Warner clutch was a common one, there is one on e-bay right now for the Quietlines at $6.50. Type in, "Cub Cadet PTO" on the e-bay browser.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:17 pm

We had a guy rewind a PTO clutch on the other forum I follow and he gave the wire size and what he put around the coil. I think he works at a place that re winds coils but sait it wasn't to hard. I didn't save the Info as I don't have an electric PTO.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Fordlords
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16506

Postby Fordlords » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:43 pm

One thing to note is is very common to see cracks in the plastic covering on the Warner field coils, but this does not render them bad. A simple ohm meter test can tell if the coil is OK, they have very little electrical resistance and draw a good amount of current when engaged- It is a strong electromagent. If resistance is high or the coil is open, the coil winds shorted and burned up somewhere inside.

You can help preserve a good field coil with cracks in the plastic coil surround by pushing some RTV sealant into the cracks with your finger, and allowing it to dry.

-Fordlords-
To the man, there is no such thing as, "Too much tractor!"

Honda Powered 1980 IH Cub Cadet 682

Return to “Cub Cadet”