This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy looking for suggestions....

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
557Fox
10+ Years
10+ Years

New guy looking for suggestions....

Postby 557Fox » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:23 pm

Hey everybody. I am a 25 year old guy looking for a suggestion or two on a Cub. I am looking to buy an older Cub, but am not sure what model to look for. I will be using it for work, mowing and pushing/blowing snow. Some friends of mine have several, mostly hyrdostats. Just curious what you guys recommend. If anyone has anything for sale in Michigan please let me know, I am also putting a wanted to buy ad in the classifieds...

Thanks In Advance!
Seth

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Seth. I own and have owned the narrow framed IH Cadets 10 and 12 horse Kohler engines. The hydrostat is an excellent transmission. The tractors are tough as nails.

My suggestion is any of the IH made Cub Cadets. They really hold up well and parts are available.

Eugene

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:46 am

Hi Fox: I don't know if you want a farmall Cub or a Cub Cadet. The Cub Cadet s are garden tractors that are from 45 years up to about 1983 and they are very reliable tractors that can be made to look and run like new or just be work horses. Here is a link http://ihregistry.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=next&topic=74&page=80733
to a page were 3 are listed for sale in IN. Keep checking this site because a lot of old CC pass through here. You might want to look at some newer MTD Cub Cadets that were made by Cub Cadet after IH sold them them the company. There is a lot out there to choose from and people to help you. I didn't get into the gear drive versus the Hydro as they are both great and a personal choice.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:30 pm

This ain't gonna be popular here (i'm braced for the criticism), but here goes anyway! For any kind of serious snow plowing with a blade, i'd think about a 4-wheel drive ATV. I've got a Yamaha BigBear 400 Quad ATV and in low gear 4-wheel mode, it can push deep heavy snow up to its axles and beyond. When i put it 2-wheel drive about all it can plow is a few inches of snow before the rear wheels start losing traction.
Of course my 100+ yard driveways are gravel and i have to set the blade skids about a 3/8" high off the ground or else i'd be plowing the gravel along with the snow. If your plowing over pavement and can set the blade to scrape clean maybe a CC with a blade, wheel weights and chains would be OK. Don't know, never tried it with my CC even though i've got the blade for it, a dang big heavy blade it is too.

For summer work, nothing'll beat a CC hydro IMO. As far as older CCs, i'd go with the 1872 model. Its got a real beefy frame, 18HP and larger dia. wheels. Of course i just might be a little biased as i one one of em. :roll:

Return to “Cub Cadet”