This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow Blower Help Please

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Snow Blower Help Please

Postby Mag Man » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:03 am

Well as alot of you remember I bought the 42" snowthrower for my new cub cadet GT1500 this fall I bought the tire chains wheel weights and all $1200.00 shot in the but. Boy I wish now I would have bought a big walk behind for the money.
OK here is my question we rec a foot of new snow last night first snow and my auger keeps plugging sticking to it . and bulldozing the snow It does not matter if I go slow or fast or creap. Is there something I can spray in there or treat it with to stop this from happening. I know its wet heavy lake efect but I would exspect mmore from this unit other wise I guess I am happy except for getting stuck all the time cause I live on a big frigging hill.
JON

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:09 am

Silicone spray lube might help.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:03 pm

Paint the inside of the housing and chute with Slip-Plate, or it's equivilant. It is a graphite paint and can be found at stores that sell tractor supplies/parts/equipment. If the snow is very wet, it may still stick some, and if so you may need to take smaller "bites" after the first pass - like half the width of the auger rather than the full width.

Snotzalot
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Snotzalot » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:11 pm

Slip-Plate sold at Tractor Supply works well. If you have a 2 stage blower your walk behind would clog too. if it's a single stage, they are more prone to clogging. As suggested 1/2 width helps. FWIW I keep an ancient walk behind for soggy wet snows.

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:32 pm

Snotzalot,
You said that the single stage "snowthrowers" tend to clog more than the two stage blowers? Why is that? Somewhere I thought that i had heard before that it was the opposite? I ask only because I just put a snowthrower on my model 73 with creeper and am anxiously awaiting our first snow! If what you say is true, then I have my cub and snow plow as back-up :D

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:43 pm

The two stage snow blowers have a fan at the back, which runs a little faster than the auger, with the concept that it will throw the snow faster than the auger will push the snow to it. So, in theory, a 2-stage snow blower will clear itself faster, and not plug up as easily as a single stage snow blower

In real practice, I'm not sure that there is much difference. I had a QA42-A snow blower on my Cub Cadet 149, and I could plow through 2-feet of snow without problem. There are a couple of things that make these snow blowers preform poorly though, 1 is rust inside the snow blower or chute, and 2 is slipping PTO belts, 3 is lack of horsepower, and 4 is trying to go too fast, or bite into too much at once. It is simple physics. If your snow blower is clogging, it is one of these things. If the inside of the snow blower is shiny and new, you either don't have enough horsepower to the snow blower, or your're trying to bite off too much at once. Any snow blower will throw wet heavy snow, but you have to keep these things in mind. Too much wet heavy stuff = plugged chute. It is all simple physics and trial and error.

I had a Cub Cadet original with the 7-hp engine and a 36" snow blower, and you could dig throug 1-foot of snow with no problem. My 149 with the 42" snow blower would go thorugh 2-feet of snow without a problem. I got rid of both of them and went to a new Simplicity walk behind, because it is easier to maneuver and takes up a-lot less space. Plus, now I've got 8hp to 24" clearing width, and can go through about 3-feet of snow without a problem. Again, simple physics. Keep it in mind, and you will not have any problems.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:26 pm

It does kind of sound like "new paint" is sure not helping, My friend blasted all the paint off his and re-painted with Snow-flow paint, did seem to help, BUT he does radical stuff all the time!---My old throwers and blowers never gave that problem, so I'm thinking it's the paint!!! thanks; sonny

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:53 pm

I went to tractor supply and asked them I do have a quart of lubriplate but its too cold too use it they said they had about 15 people come in with the same problem $1.89 later every one got a can of pyroil silicone spray. To try on the sticking. Thanks guys as far as the RPM's I cant run her any higher unless I modify and she is still under warant for another year or two.
THANKS JON

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:35 pm

I used to have trouble with my snowblower clogging- fixed it by using the front end loader. Seriously, inside of chute -RUST FREE- Lubricant- being extrmely cheap I tried almost everything, Best results, Pam cooking spray (any flavor) next best WD40 sprayed on about every hour of use. Good luck and keep the snow up there.
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:00 pm

We were spraying our snow plows and snow blowers with PAM non stick cooking spray so the snow couldn't ice up nor stick on the metal this would happen as the day turns to night and the temps drop everything would ice up solid.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bob G.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Plugging snow blower

Postby Bob G. » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:46 pm

For what it worth I get a cheap paint brush and a block of parifin wax. Heat the wax in a disposable tin foil tin and paint in on the shoot. Seems to last all winte if you have enough wax in there.
Bob Grootegoed

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:31 pm

I heat my snow showevels in the wood stove and then rub a block of parafin wax on them lasts 4 or 5 years.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Cub Cadet”