This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Removing paint from a serial number tag

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Removing paint from a serial number tag

Postby Dennis » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:20 pm

Hey guys, I picked up a Cadet this summer (104) and when I went looking for the serial number I found it "caked" with paint. A little gentle digging with my pen knife verified it was the tag.

What are the best methods you have found to remove paint from a tag, without destroying or marking it up?
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:32 am

Dennis,

That’s a tough call on that one. I just went out and looked at my 106 and they have black out lined around International Harvester. (Like a Cub) Maybe try mineral spirits rubbing it with a tooth brush.

I thank you can repaint the black part if you mess it up; all the letters and numbers are stamped. If you need a picture of the tag in the original state, I can send you one.

I’m sure someone has done this before, who reads this forum.

Hope to see you again at the Cubarma :!:

Jack Fowler

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:29 pm

Dennis,

I also received a cadet recently. My father gave me his 102. I shot carb cleaner on the serial number tag to clean it so I could get the number and it worked w/o removing the black around the International word, but carb cleaner will remove paint at times so if that worries you be careful.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:31 am

Looks like I'll try a combination of some careful chiselling and some cleaner.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:40 pm

Dennis:

Here is a good method to try.

Use stripper, clean up the plate real good. Then wipe it down 3 or 4 times with a good lacquer thinner.

Yes, most likely most of the black paint will come off of the plate, but have no fear. I have done this many times and it always works. Take a clean rag, dip it in black paint. Wipe the plate with it a couple of times. Then, take another rag with just a bit of thinners on it, wipe LIGHTLY across the top of the plate to clean off the excess. Let it dry and VOILA!! you now basically have a restored Serial Number Plate. If there is any excess, afer it sets, use some 4-0 steel wool and buff it lightly. Won't affect the information, will just buff up the high spots.

Works me me, and I use it all the time to restore serial plates on funiture and casework that is being restored.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:13 pm

I can see that working on an etched plate, but can't imagine it working on a silkscreened one.

Return to “Cub Cadet”