This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Broken sheer pin

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Broken sheer pin

Postby Findoggy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 pm

Got to use my 36" snowthrower 3 times this winter, and every time I used it, the same sheer pin broke...right where it goes into the chain cog. Why would they be breaking so frequently? Any ideas? The first snow was really heavy and icy and I probably shouldn't have even tried using it :oops: However, the last 2 snows we got were about 6 inches of fairly light and fluffy stuff. Thanks for any advice.
Findoggy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:47 pm

What kind of pin are you using? If I understand correctly which pin you are breaking, it should be a 3/16 X 1-1/4" or 1/4 X 1-1/4" (depending on snow thrower model) coiled spring pin, more commonly known as a spirol pin.

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:39 pm

Paul, it is a 1 1/4 inch long spirol (coiled) pin. I'm not sure if it's 3/4 or 1". My dad picked them up for me at the CC dealership he works for, so I know they're most likely the correct one. Any idea why it should break so often? I'm getting frustrated and would like to fix the problem before needing to use it next winter. Thanks for the help. Findoggy

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:41 am

Since they are not designed to be a shear pin, I would say something is causing the chain/sproket/auger to bind or lock suddenly, while it is turning. Are you using it over gravel or loose rock?

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:18 am

Check the holes where the roll pin goes in and make sure the hole in the shaft or in the pulley aren't worn on one of them. If you have the 3/16" you may be able to open the hole to accept the 1/4" but if something else is locking it up it may damage something more expensive than a roll pin.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Findoggy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Findoggy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:26 am

No, the snowthrower is being used on a paved driveway, so there shouldn't be any debris causing it to lock up. It does seem to turn nice and free by hand when the PTO isn't engaged. I'll check to see if the holes are worn at all. Thanks for the suggestions. Findoggy

Return to “Cub Cadet”