This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub cadet starter generator not charging !

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

cub cadet starter generator not charging !

Postby Lee_Petrie » Tue May 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Hello everybody , My friend has a cub cadet type starter generator on a cub 185 lo-boy , STARTS FINE but fails to generate ! Out of the "F" post is about .7 to.8 volts ( before regulator),where I feel it should be 15 to 16 volts ! HAS ANYBOBY EVER HEARD OF "FLASHING THE GENERATOR FIELD " ? HOW IS THIS DONE PROPERLY ? I TRIED TO LIFT THE BRUSHES ( installed paper under them ) AND CHARGE THE GENERATOR FIELD ( the one with fine wires ) with 12 Volts , no success on working as a generator ! THIS used replacement STARTER GENERATOR HAS NOT BEEN USED IN YEARS !
Thanks for your help , Lee

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Tue May 15, 2007 3:43 pm

Lee,

I'm not sure this will work the same way on a starter/generator, but here's how it's done on the Cub generator.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11804
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 15, 2007 7:09 pm

If the starter/generator cranks the engine. The problem more than likely lies in the regulator.

The brushes, field and armature windings (all the main working parts) in the starter/generator are used in both the starting operation and the generation operation.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Tue May 15, 2007 10:15 pm

I want to thank both of you for your replies to my question ! I really feel strongly in the fact that their are 2 different field coils in this unit ,one for starting and the other for generating charging Voltage for the battery , the latter must not have enough magnetism to excite the generator output after it was unused for may years ! AT POST "F" ( before the regulator ) THEIR IS ONLY .7 / .8 Volts , WHILE SPINNING IT WITH A MOTOR ! Thanks , Lee

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Tue May 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Lee, I just sent you a pm :D

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed May 16, 2007 9:49 am

Lee_Petrie wrote: I really feel strongly in the fact that their are 2 different field coils in this unit ,one for starting and the other for generating charging Voltage for the battery , the latter must not have enough magnetism to excite the generator output after it was unused for may years !

There are two field windings (coils), making one electro magnet, in the starter/generator. Not one field winding used for starting and one field winding used for generating electricity.

In your first post. You placed paper under the brushes. I'm not sure how you tried to charge the field windings - but normally placing paper under the brushes would cause an open (circuit).

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lee_Petrie » Wed May 16, 2007 6:41 pm

Hello Eugene , I took the unit apart ,and that is what , this one appears to have ! One field coil has a small wire size ,which goes to the "F" post , then to the regulator and the other field coil is much larger wire size , which goes to the other external post which also has the large wire from the starter solenoid also attached ( for starting ) ! I DO APPRECIATE YOUR INPUTS TO MY QUESTION ! I'm going to try to get in touch with Josh ( the posting before yours ) and see what his ideas are on this problem !
Thanks ,Lee

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed May 16, 2007 10:25 pm

Since you have the starter/generator apart. Check for wear marks on the armature and fields to see if the armature has been rubbing against the armature - if so replace the bearings.

Check the color of the fields - if they apear burnt and smell burnt - probably time to take it to a repair shop.

Check the armature for burnt wiring and general condition of the commutators.

A repair shop specializing in electrical motors, starters and generators can replace fields and repair armatures.

Normally the field windings are not bad. Although I did have to replace a starter/generator for my neighbor because the fields were burn up.

The reason I think the problem lies in the regulator. The fields may have/retain a bit of residual magnetism - but not enough to be self exciting. One purpose of the regulator (F terminal) is to provide a voltage through the fields when the starter/generator is turning - further magnetizing the fields - generating electricity.

The F terminal on the voltage regulator does not have to be functional for the starter/generator to work as a starter.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Cub Cadet”