Greasing the front end????

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Greasing the front end????

Postby BigBill » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:35 am

On my 108 the steering is as easy and slick as snot and i wonder why its that way? I'm not sure what the PO used as grease to lube it. I have no other tractor that can match the easiness of this steering on my 108. It makes me wonder what grease did he use?

Whats you favorite lube for the front axle/spindles?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Greasing the front end????

Postby Paul B » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:28 am

It should be rather easy to turn, but if it's really easy look at the bolts that hold the spindle/steering knuckle to the axle. Does the bolt turn when the spindle is turned, or does the spindle turn on the bolt? The correct answer should be that the bolt turns with the spindle. The axle has a bushing in it that the spindle bolt goes thru. That bushing is longer than the axle boss it goes in, so that the bushing turns in the axle when the bolt is correctly installed in the spindle. The bolt "clamps" the spindle to the bushing and the bolt, spindle, and bushing should turn as an assembly. The nut on the bolt should be tightened to 80 ft lbs.

Over time and for what ever reason, the assembly will loosen and the spindle/knuckle will start turning on the bolt, rather than as an assembly, and since there is less friction on the rather small contact points of spindle and bolt than there is between the bushing and the axle, the steering is easier........but it also wears the bolt holes in the knuckle, the bolts, and the knuckle at the bushing contact point, and then the steering gets harder. By the way, that bolt is rather pricey from Cub Cadet, and it is almost impossible to find one from a hardware store with the same amount of shoulder/thread combination.

The Cub Cadet manuals calls for the same IH, 251HEP grease, or it's equivalent, to be used on the axle that it calls for to be used on all the other grease points on the tractors.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:23 pm

No intention meant to second-guess you Paul B. But the torque spec for the spindle bolt seems high to me. Should it be 80 in. lbs.? 80 ft.lbs. would snap most 3/8 bolts. I have no refrence book in front of me to verify this figure. You might say Im "shooting from the hip". Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Frank,
You would be correct if it was a 3/8" bolt, but it is a 1/2" (1/2-20) and 80 ft lbs is a direct quote from the service manual for the wide frames , GSS-1464, page 2-17, but I had to go back and read it again to be sure I hadn't miss-read it.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:52 am

I didn't realize the wide frames used the 1/2" bolt and since I am an Original guy t was thinking they are 7/16-14 cap screws. the 3/8 bolt is used on the one side of the NF.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:39 pm

William, just so there is no confusion about the bolts I am refering to, the 1/2" bolt used on the wide frames is about 7" or so long and goes thru the top and bottom of the spindle/steering knuckle, and thru the bushing in the axle. The knuckle is a "C" shaped peice of flat metal with a hole in the top and bottom for the 7"' bolt, and a stub axle for the wheel welded to the "C". The top and bottom of the "C" fit over the end of the axle. The bolt goes thru the "C" and the axle, and there is a nut that goes on the bottom of the bolt. This bolt "clamps" the knuckle to the bushing in the axle, and creates the pivot for the knuckle to turn in/on the axle , much like the spindle and "king pin" on a solid front axle of a pickup or Model A Ford. The narrow frames and the Original use a "L" shapped spindle that goes up thru the axle from the bottom side, and is retained by a short (about 1") bolt or cap screw that goes thru a washer and into the top of the "L" shapped spindle. The left spindle on a narrow frame is retained in the axle by a spirol pin that attaches the steering arm to the top of the spindle. The front wheels on all models are held on the spindle by a short bolt/cap screw and washer.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Right now my 108 has the best steering but what if i add a snowplow or an FEL then it will get harder to steer with more friction.
I wonder if there is a way to add needle bearings to the king pins on the CC front axles with a thrust bearing. I been thinking this can be done if we use wide frame spindles on a narrow frame front axle. With the extra space where the king pin is we can add a ball thrust bearing on the inside of the bottom. Then we can use the greaseable ball socket tie rod ends too. We just have to bore out the king pin holes to the OD of the needle bearings. I'll have to measure it up to see if there's enough meat left after boring the holes for the needle brgs. Its either use needle brgs or bronze bushings.

I'm going to try this soon;
My new front axle will have a needle bearing top and bottom were the "king pin" location is. I'm using 1 1/4" ID tubing welded to the 2x4 or 2x3 square structural steel tubing and i haven't deceided yet on the size. I just ordered the needle bearings with the 1" ID and the ball thrust bearing for the int154 front spindles. My upper needle bearing is sealed one side so the seal is on the top side so the bearing will get grease. The lower needle bearing is an open bearing with no seals so the grease will go thru it into the ball thrust bearing. I figure to use the orginal design were the zerk fitting goes for the grease in the 1 1/4" ID steel structural tubing i'm using to hold the spindles. I have the 154 center pivot arm with the tie rods that will have to be shortened and rethreaded too so they can be added on my cub cadet 70. I also want to widen the front axle width so its equal to the larger rear tires and lengthen the wheel base just a tad. (stretch cub cadet)

I think by using needle bearings and the vertical shaft spindle will ease up the friction when steering with a snowplow or even an FEL bucket. As long as its greased properly.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Yep ; I got the ends of my spindles crossed. I was thinking of the wheel/tire end. Thats why the make pencils on the end of erasers. Sorry if I confused anybpdy. Frank :? :? :? :oops: :oops: :oops:
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

Barbwire
Zip Code: 43718

Postby Barbwire » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:47 pm

cub front spindle

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 pm

There are 3/4" spindles and 1" spindles that use the int154 front wheel bearings. There's a wet rear brake disc in the tranny (standard tranny) and the optimal wheel disc brakes. These had options. Creeper too,

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:13 am

Barbwire and Bill,
This thread is over 8 years old now.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:27 am

How time flies, old threads.

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:36 am

Just tried to grease the front end on my 126 to no avail.
Took it apart and hand fed grease in and it stears great. Needs new nipples.
I find you have to remove the deck to get at the grease nipple on the steering box, but what a difference in steering. Red
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,