108 engine noise

Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:28 am

I have a Cub Cadet 108 that I use to cut my grass with. It is in good condition and runs very well. I have one problem though that I cannot seem to trace. Although the valves are set correctly there is a loud " loose tappet noise" all the time. The sound is there when idling or at full revs. Any suggestions as to what it could be.
Thanks, Denis

Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:01 am

It could be a camshaft knock (too much end play), a loose flywheel. loose PTO clutch/pulley, or a rod knock. It could also be the the mule drive bracket. This is the front bracket that the pulleys for the deck belt are mounted on. The rear of the mounting arms of this bracket, the slotted part, that slips over the two "Frankenstine bolts" in the outside of the frame, will vibrate or knock/rattle against the bolts and/or frame. With the engine running, just put a little pressure on the side of the bracket and see if the noise stops

Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:06 pm

Denis,
I'm not a gear drive guy but it could also be the clutch plate, there are anti-rattle springs for the clutch.
See if the noise changes when you depress the clutch also see if it changes when you engage or disengage the PTO (PTO's are notorious for a "rod knock").