This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Buying used cadets

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Buying used cadets

Postby BigBill » Thu May 13, 2010 11:04 am

I notice the average prices seem to be the norm on the used stuff lately. Lets face it when we look at a non running cadet its a shot in the dark if it runs or not anyway. I learned not to trust people selling the non running cadets.(and car salesman too)

A non running cub cadet with one attachment, to me a fair price is around $150. I'm not sure if the engine runs, the tranny is ok or the mower is ok. Right away i'm thinking its a parts tractor. I'm talking a rusted, poor looking cub cadet that will take alot to make it a runner again. Plus if this is complete with nothing noticable thats broken

A running cub cadet with a 42" mower maybe with a little blowby the price range is between $150 to $200 depending on the condition and wear its been thru, i'm talking a fair/good condition cadet. Lets face it no one sells a great running cub cadet. So your still buying a fixer upper but it runs. A better looking cadet may bring a few dollars more.

Attachements can run between $50 to $150 max this seems to be the normal price range. Again prices do vary between the condition the attachment is in too.

Now as far as parts non running engines and used tranny's is a carp shoot too. Does the tranny work and how long its biin sitting outside(water inside it?) matters too. You can't lose with the sheetmetal if you need it but its the other mechanical stuff that your not sure of that worries me. To me a package deal with parts, i kind of write off the parts as part of the price. I trust no ones word too.

Now you can't go by ebay because all of this stuff doesn't sell when its high priced too. I'm just giving you an idea on what your used stuff can bring plus whats it worth on the condition its in.

You can't judge a cub cadet by looking at the rear end sticking out in a shed or garage too you need to inspect the whole tractor from the front to the rear. Don't buy it if you can't see it.

Inspection;

1. I look to see the if tractor is complete and there are no visible broken parts. Look for missing sheetmetal.
2. Check the color of the motor oil next. That tells me if the owner took care of it.
3. While checking the motor oil look inside the gas tank for rust too. Check the tranny oil level too. Checkout the battery too(date).
4. Check the steering for play and loose tie rod ends.
5. If it runs start it up and let it stay on choke for a while looking for blue smoke.
6. Warm it up and drive it and check the tranny, the steering and brakes.
7. Once you move it look for oil seepage on the ground were it has been parked.
8. If there is oil on the ground look under the tractor to see where its comming from.
9. Now that its hot check the throttle speeds and see if it blows smoke when you rev it up and let it idle again. Then let it idle for a while and speed it up to look for blue smoke again.
10. Check the tires for cracks and cuts. Look to see if any tire has a tube in it. This can be the sign of a non repairable flat from a cut so they stuck a tube in it. I hope they put a tire patch inside the tire first. Check your front wheel bearings and see if there loose in the rim bores. You will need to jack it up. Check the axle pivot pin for wear too.
10a. See how it runs and drives at all speeds. shift the tranny and back up in reverse to see if it jumps oout of gear(standard) and make sure the hydro tranny works too. Checkout the clutch and drive the front wheel against a tree to see if the rear tire spins when the clutch locks up.
11. Now that its up and running checkout the PTO engagement and the mower deck for noises and growls. Try moving the deck up and down with the lever too. Make sure all the links are inplace to raise and lower the deck too. Inspect the deck wheels,skids, pullies, belts and blades plus the housing for cracks.
12. If you have other attachments inspect them for cracks, missing parts and loose bearings/shafts too. You may need a screwdriver to remove some grease to see if there are cracks under it too.

I'm posting this because some cub cadet owners think they have gold when all they have is a parts tractor, don't get ripped off, know what your buying and look it over really closely.
BigBill

Remember its price vs. condition and wether it runs/drives too. The deal has to be fair to you the buyer and the seller but you need to know what to look for when buying. Remember its not gold were buying its a tractor. Remember there are more than one tractor out there too so look for the one that speaks to you and go by your gut feeling wether to walk or not.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Cub Cadet”