This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Warm start problem (progress report)

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Warm start problem (progress report)

Postby JimT » Fri May 28, 2010 8:30 am

My 582 has develped a hick-up. :roll:

After I run it for a while it will not restart. No spark at the plugs. I am leaning toward the coil. It turns over good. After it sits for a while and cools off it will start right up.

What to the x-perts think. Coil or not?
Last edited by JimT on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Warm start problem

Postby challenger » Fri May 28, 2010 10:52 am

The fact that you do not have spark clearly suggests a coil breakdown. Can you borrow a coil from somewhere to swap in to verify the bad coil diagnosis before you buy one?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Coil would be at the top of my list Jim.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri May 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Yup i'd go with the coil first too. It may have a broken wire in the coils and when it gets hot it expands so its an "open gap" thus won't run.

I'm getting ready to wrap my very first ignition stator on my sons dirtbike. I already had success rewiring the lighting coil for more power for brighter twin headlites. I used a smaller diamter wire so it had more wraps thus more power out put. Now i need the same diameter wire and i need to count the wraps exactly so i know how many new wraps to do with the new wire. I find it a challange to do it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sun May 30, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks guys.

I guess the next time I go by a supplier I will pick up a coil. I figured this was it but I guess there may have been a chance someone would have said something easier and cheaper. Like "Hold your head to the left, smile, and count to a-ga-zillion. Then jump on one foot 12 times". :mrgreen:

This forum could be called "The Answer Machine". :D

Thanks again.
JimT

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Re: Warm start problem (progress report)

Postby JimT » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:22 am

Hi all. I put a coil in Brutus and I still have the same condition. Runs good until you shut it off and then there is no spark at the plugs to get it running again until it cools off. This has a Magnetron ignition on it so there are no points. It operates like a magneto on a Farmall Cub. You ground it to stop the engine. I pulled the wire from the switch to the ground terminal that is on the engine when it was running and turned the key off and the engine kept running until the wire was plugged back onto the ground terminal. There is a wire that plugs onto the coil and runs the to ground terminal where the wire from the switch plugs into. You can see it in the photo where it shows the ground wire terminal.

So the only things in the ignition system are the coil, plugs, plug wires (new with coil), ground terminal, wire from switch to ground terminal, and the wire from the ground terminal to the coil.

I have found something odd. When it will not start if I take a screwdriver and put it in the end of a plug wire and turn the engine over and watch for spark there is none holding it close to a ground. The odd thing is if I let the screwdriver touch the ground while the engine is turning over then I will get spark again. I can plug the plug wire back onto the spark plug and Brutus will start.

Have any of you out there ever ran into anything like this?

I am going to go back out and get it in the no start condition again and then pull both wires off the ground terminal and see if it will start then. If it does I will know there is a problem with the isolator where the ground wires are connecting to.
JimT

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Jim - have you tried pulling the wire off the kill switch and then attempting a hot start? Your switch may be failing.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 am

Bigdog wrote:Jim - have you tried pulling the wire off the kill switch and then attempting a hot start? Your switch may be failing.

I pulled the wire from the key switch to the ground terminal off and it makes no difference. I was going to pull both wires off the ground terminal next time it would not start just to rule out any trouble with the ground terminal grounding out, but it has not gotten to the no start condition again. When I first put the new coil in, twice it would not restart after running to get warm (about 5 minutes). Since the last time I grounded out a plug wire when it would not start it has not acted up again. It seems that grounding out a plug wire while cranking it over would get it firing again. :?

Go figure, when you want to try something else it will not act up now. :roll: Don't ya just love those intermittent problems. :oops:
JimT

Return to “Cub Cadet”