This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lugs down and dies

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Lugs down and dies

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:59 pm

The 1250 my next door neighbor just gave me seems to lug down and die.

Originally I thought it was a fuel flow problem so I installed a genuine Kohler carb kit from the local Cub Cadet dealer. All that turned out to be was a needle and seat, four gaskets, and a float pivot pin.

Thought I had the problem fixed, but it started acting up again within a few minutes.

Fuel flow is fine. When I pull the line and open the valve, the fuel gushes out.

I took the carburetor completely apart when I "rebuilt" it, cleaned off every bit of crud, grease, and grime.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Re: Lugs down and dies

Postby Paul B » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:12 am

Some more information might help determine what is wrong.
seems to lug down and die.

Does this happen when the engine is first started and cold, or when it's hot after running for awhile, or when mowing, when going up hill etc. etc. Does the engine die? If so will it restart then or does it have to set awhile?
I took the carburetor completely apart when I "rebuilt" it, cleaned off every bit of crud, grease, and grime.

Was the carb body and parts soaked in a carb cleaner or just wiped off? Are all the tiny holes and passageways in the needle valves clean and open?

You have to help us, try to help you, and be a little more specific about your problem

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Paul B wrote:Some more information might help determine what is wrong.

I'd provide it if there were any...

Does this happen when the engine is first started and cold, or when it's hot after running for awhile, or when mowing, when going up hill etc. etc. Does the engine die? If so will it restart then or does it have to set awhile?

It's random. Sometimes it will do it right away, other times not until it's warm. It has no mower deck, and my lawn is fairly flat.

The engine fires right back up and runs fine.

It will sit there and run forever with the throttle wide open.

Was the carb body and parts soaked in a carb cleaner or just wiped off? Are all the tiny holes and passageways in the needle valves clean and open?

As I said, everything was cleaned... Sprayed, scrubbed, sprayed, wiped, sprayed, and blown dry. Removed both needles. Blew out the passageways with carb cleaner and air.

There are no settings for the needles or float bowl that I could find. I simply put everything back where it was when I started, about 2 turns out for each needle, and the float is wherever it was... Got no idea, couldn't find my calipers.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Crap in fuel tank. Sediment bowl, empty and clean screen. If in line filter, replace.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Fuel tank is pouring a heavy stream of gas out the fuel line when I pull it off the carburetor.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Matt, several guys have found stuff floating in the tank or sediment bowl. The gas flows okay and the engine runs until the floater gets sucked down and blocks the gas flow. That's what can make it sporadic. I'd follow Eugene's suggestion to rule that possibility out.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 pm

I'll bet its the float level. You changed the needle and seat. You also said you did not reset the float. Its done with a drill bit layed sideways between the float and the carb. body, inverted. Don't remember the drill bit size (CRS) but its around 3/16. Go in the Manuals section of this Website and I think everything will be laid out for you.
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Matt:

Sounds like a fuel flow or carburetion problem. Where?

Question. Got spark when the engine dies?

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 am

The engine fires right back up and runs fine again, immediately, after it dies.

I don't see any Cub Cadet manuals in Rudi's manual area.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:23 am

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Pour 1/4 of a container of fuel system conditioner in the gas tank. See what happens. Might work - might not.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 am

Hmm, it could be water in the fuel... Good idea!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 am

Just check your fuel bowel for water.

Did you set the float level correctly and make sure you have enough float drop so it gets gas when needed?

Did you remove the two needle screws to clean out the ports for captured dirt? Did you readjust the two needle screws? One is for low speed and the other is for high speed.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:31 am

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengin ... P-2379.pdf

Kohler service manual. Large section on servicing carburetors.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:23 pm

BigBill,

When I did the carburetor, I completely disassembled it, cleaned everything back to shiny, and reassembled the carburetor exactly as it was, but using the new parts from the kit.

I have no idea if the float is set right. It is exactly as it was before the rebuild.

I have no idea if the needles are set right. Both are two turns out.

The previous owner was having problems keeping it running too, and he could have fiddled with any of those things. I don't have a book to check the settings against.

One thing I do recall is that the needle and seat kept sticking closed. Both the old set and the new set did that.

Return to “Cub Cadet”