This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replacement Carb for my 123 (K301)

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Replacement Carb for my 123 (K301)

Postby oldiron1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:08 am

Hi Guys,

I'm in need of a replacement carb for my Cub Cadet 123 with it's original Kohler K301 12hp engine.

I know many other manufactures used this engine. I've been watching ebay for a used carb and see one from a Case tractor.....will it be the same carb?

Thanks! Rob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Replacement Carb for my 123 (K301)

Postby Paul B » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:54 pm

My question to you is, is there something broken on your carb to keep it from being cleaned and rebuilt?

It would probably depend on the model Case. Your 123 uses a #26 Carter/Kohler (Kohler bought the rights to the Carter carb and started building their own). You can find this number by looking in the throat of the carb. If the one from the case has the same fuel inlet, choke and throttle connection and is a #26, it willprobably fit.

oldiron1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oldiron1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks Paul, you answered a question I had relating to Kohler/Carter as I've seen alot of Carbs referred to as Kohler and my older Cadets all have Carter carbs.

The carb I'm looking to replace just seems wore out as the throttle shaft wobbles all over.

Let me know your thoughts if you would. Thanks again! Rob

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:13 pm

You can get a throttle shaft repair kit for them. Give Scott Madson, Madson Service Inc, 114 S. 2nd Ave, St. Nazianz, WI, 54232. His phone number is 920-773-2661. Scott is a Cub Cadet dealer and ships all over. He can sometime get parts other dealers can't or won't get. He will want to know what the linkage on the throttle shaft looks like to get you the right kit. You can also try Ken Updike at C&G, 608-455-2411.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:26 pm

Its great to know we can get a carb kit or the repair stuff to fix the wornout shafts. I reassemble them with a little moly and once in a while i put a few drops of oil on the shafts too this keeps stuff from wearing out. Its like lubing the door and hood hinges on our cars.

With the old stuff most wornout things are repairable just try that with the newer stuff. I still rebuild my starters, alternators and generators. My local parts guy tries to sell me his rebuilt stuff but the brushes for my GM starter are only $1.50 when a rebuilt starter is $50? But the the rebuilt stuff is sometimes no good too. I had that problem when i was repairing cars using rebuilt carbs. Some customers were fussy and didn't want there carbs rebuilt, they wanted an out of the box carb. Most of the time i had to readjust the floats anyhoo. I enjoyed working on all my own stuff since i was 8 or 9yo. I started out washing car parts for my dad when he was fixing cars. I also fixed my own gokart too. My point is its like letting someone restore your car or tractor there's no feeling of "you personally did it when someone else does it and you paid him". BB
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:40 am

This was posted on the IH Registrry 11/13/07 by Myrom Bound
Myron Bounds (mbounds)
Username: mbounds

Joaquin Texas

Post Number: 722

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:36 pm: Edit PostPrint Post
Clint R: From a hardware store (I use Ace), get a Hillman 58087-A bronze thrust bushing (1/4 id x 7/16 od) for $0.75 or so. On a 26 or 30 throat carb, it will tap down in that recess and seal the throttle shaft. I recommend a little thread locker around the outer edge of the thrust bushing. Just DO not get any near the throttle shaft. End of throttle shaft problem for many years....

Email for how-to info for the 20 throat carbs found on the Original and the 7/8 hp Kohlers

Myron B
CCSupplyRoomIf you own an IH made Cub Cadet, you must have and use the basic Operator, Parts, & Service Manuals.

I just checked with Ace Hardware and the Hillman Bushing 58087-A bushings are srill available at $0.70 each or 100 for $6.
On the 7 & 8 HP carbs I have found 3/8" x 1/4" x 3/4" Hillman bushings in bronze, nylon and this time steel bushing to make a bushing that fits those carbs. I make 2 bushings using the square end to fit against the inside wall of the carb and make a tight fit for the bushing. I like the nylon as it's the easiest to work with..
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Well I need to replace the carb on my K301 now :( It's a #26 also. It has broken the flange that bolts to the block. Paul, where can I get a new one?

Oldiron, I have a decent used carb with a bad housing if you need it for parts. that is if I can replace it..............
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Ken,
You don't want to buy (as in pay for) a new one, just look for a rebuildable used one. I don't know if I have an extra one or not but I'll look. You might also try the sources I listed above.

Return to “Cub Cadet”