This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil stick reading level

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Oil stick reading level

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:31 am

Hey folks.

I'm getting ready to do some hard work with the 1200 Cub Cadet this weekend. Before doing so, I want to make sure the oil level is up to par. (This is my very first Cub Cadet, so bear with me).

When I try to read the dip stick, one side with the indicators says the oil is right on the mark. But, if you flip the stick over, the other side reads about 1/4" lower. Since I plan on working the Cadet hard this weekend, I certainly want to make sure the oil level is in good shape. This reading is consistent whether I clean the stick off and get a fresh reading with the cap fully inserted, or just by letting the stick set for a day or so and then just pull it out and do a reading.

Engine is a 12 HP Kohler, K301AQS, spec # 47541d.

Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

SS
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Re: Oil stick reading level

Postby gitractorman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 pm

I wouldn't really be that concerned. You could always put a little more in it if you are concerned. That small of an amount will not "overfill" the engine and hurt anything. If you are going to work her hard, like roto tilling, pushing soil, or mowing brush, I would be more concerned about stopping periodically, letting the engine cool down and check the oil again. Don't be suprised if you have to add some oil during the day.

I had a 149 with a new replacement kohler 14-hp engine, that I had used for a couple of years mowing the lawn. I finally got a rototiller, and spent a weekend in 90-degree temps, tilling about an acre of my lawn. That new Kohler engine used about 1/2 quart of oil over the course of the weekend. I was giving her a real workout, especially with all the clay around here.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks Bill. This is a recently rebuilt engine on this Cub Cadet. I know it isn't broke in yet, and know to keep an eye out on the oil.

I'm hoping to turn (plow) in my little corn field for the winter this weekend. I've already been using the CC to aerate my yard, but now comes the big push/work load. I'll either get the rings to start breaking in, or I'll blow it up one.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Split the difference and add enough oil to bring the level up so that you are 1/8" high on one side and 1/8" low on the other. That much definately won't make any difference.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

mikethefixitman1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45417
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall CUB
129 CUB CADET
180 JD YT
160 JD YT
Various yard tractors and various brands
TOTALING 10

Postby mikethefixitman1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Sunday Sailor
Keep an eye on your oil level,at least once a day. Aircooled engines have been known to actually use as much as 1 oz per hr. especially recently rebuilt engines.
Keep checkin and addin OIL IS CHEAP compaired to engines.
ROGER

Return to “Cub Cadet”