This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Parts Advice needed please

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Parts Advice needed please

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:44 am

I'm nearing the perceived end of the 1200 Cub Cadet restoration. My, my, my what a pleasant surprise this tractor has turned out to be!

You couldn't possibly have told me before the rebuild this tractor would have the kind of power it has. But, now that it is close to being finished and I've had a chance to drive it several times, I've become a believer myself. As Ken Updike told me, "Now the fun begins!" :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :-:-): :-:-): :-:-): :-:-): :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok. For those of you who have prior experience with Cub Cadets, I need a big favor: What parts would you purchase and keep on hand to keep this monster up and running for literally the remainder of my useful working life? I'm 56 right now so we're talking 25 years or more.

The tractor has been pretty much gone through - new front end parts, fresh engine rebuild with .010 piston, new rod, etc. New tires all the way around. The only thing I can think of that wasn't touched was the transmission/rear end. I didn't find anything there to mess with, so I just changed the fluid and gaskets. Oh, tranny is the old 3 speed.

So, what would you suggest as a wish list to keep it up and running? I have no intention of getting rid of it at this point. I like it way too much for that.

As always, thanks for all your help. You have been helpful in more ways than I can possibly express.

With highest regards,

Sundaysailor :applause: :thanx: :thumbsup: :worthy:
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dhermesc
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Parts Advice needed please

Postby dhermesc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm

As long as you keep the oil in the engine and transmission in decent shape the one thing I would keep on hand is a clutch. You can find them now, but 5-10 years from now they may become scarce or scarce and very expensive. I would also buy a couple mandrels for you deck if you see them going for a decent price. They are expensive now I can only imagine what they'll be like in the future. Both of these are items I would buy when the price presented itself as a bargain.
Freedom is for those that claim it.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:22 pm

If you didn't replace the rubber ISO mounts for the engine you should, and if they are still good, keep an eye on them and replace them at the first sign of being worn out (lots of engine movement). Since it is a gear drive, I would get another clutch disc and clutch drive disc. The drive disc has a thin, flexible center and when the ISO mounts wear out, the engine shake will crack/break the center of the drive disc. It is over a $100 now and will only go higher and not get any cheaper. The drive line (clutch, drive disc, front bushing/couplings, drive shaft and rear coupling) in the gear drive quietlines can be very pricey to replace if you continue to use them when the ISO mounts wear out.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:12 pm

I would suggest buying extra clutch disc springs also. There are 3 of them on the clutch. I have an extra set on the way to me now just to keep around. They're only about $2 each.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks guys for the pointers. Yes, I did indeed replace the ISO mounts. Mine were in such bad shape I couldn't even reuse the metal inserts - they were eaten through the shell and were ready to collapse! That was some serious $$$$$ - about $90.00 for the full set.

Hmmm. Driver disk, clutch disk, extra clutch disk springs. What about spare "pressure plates"? The drive line was completely rebuilt, including a new drive shaft itself.

I already have spare brake calipers with new pads ready to be installed. I also have a spare set of steering knuckles with fairly good condition spindles. Carb has been rebuilt, but what about a spare carb rebuild kit?

I know I don't need to go overboard, but I still would like to have a good spare parts selection to help out.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:56 pm

If you have storage space pick up one or two parts tractors when they come up for sale - cheap.

Return to “Cub Cadet”