need a new tractor - ideas?

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:59 pm

my old ford is burngin too much oil and my old hydro is slipping and eating too much hydroi fluid, i think it's time to get a new mower soon.

Since half the new stuff is junk, what is somewhat cheap and worth getting? cutting about 1 3/4 acres with lots of trees

What to stay away from?

I would still much rather get something older thoguh :(

Re: need a new tractor - ideas?

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:36 pm

About any of the older IH cub cadets have been proven performers. You mentioned having a lot of trees you might look at an older zero turn (commercial unit) as a possibility.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:18 pm

I would also look at the older John Deeres. They are good mowing tractors. Many of us who love red, have a little green one hidden away. :D

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Don,
Bite your tongue, this is a Cub Cadet page........... :oops:

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:48 pm

I purchased a ZTR several years ago and it cut my mowing time in 1/2 (I timed it).
Berlin

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm partial to the narrow framed Cub Cadets. Own 4 of them. For mowing, the hydros are hard to beat.

I have John Deere 210 (mid 1970s) that I use for steep hill side mowing. 4 speed manual transmission with variable sheave belt drive. Tough machine. In 1st gear with sheave set low, if you can knock it over with the tractor, it gets mowed.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Paul B wrote:Don,
Bite your tongue, this is a Cub Cadet page........... :oops:

Paul,

As you know, I'm working on one of those too. :D

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:16 am

I like the int154 loboy for the larger mowing areas its as comfortable as my couch when mowing its a dream to mow with. I trim with a cub cadet, 104, 122 or 108 which ever needs a run. I run them all often to keep the batteries up and juices flowing. The 48" deck on the cub cadet 122 does an awesome job on mowing larger areas too. Its not as fast as the 3260 60" deck on the int154. I found the 48" deck for $50. I paid $400 for the running 122 cadet but it has a new replacement 12hp kolher engine in it. My first int154 running with the 60" deck was only $800. I think no matter which IH tractor you pick you will be ok.

I'm surprised to hear "green mentioned here" shame on you guys, the farmall/international tractor gods will be after you :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you have to go green at least paint it red???? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:19 pm

I am still partial to the standard cub, with a 42" deck. I prefer the Woods 42" personally.

I mow my whole yard, my pasture and high weeds, berry bushes and brush with it. Very versatile. My yard is not manicured, level or lush, and I have 5 maples in the front yard. Set correctly, it does not scalp the high spots, and it does the ditch line just fine.

Just my $.02

Dale

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Nothing wrong with the standard cub i have one too. Plus 3 int154's and about 10 cub cadets there all a hoot to run. I'm going to set up my fcub with my rear kub klipper so i can mow under the pinetrees and brushhog with it too.

I like them all!!!!! I'm stuck in an "IH rut"......

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:17 pm

I like pre 1981 cadets. I've had 14. Howeve,r don't rule out pre 1985 wheelhorse. I just procured a 318. Very nice tractor.