This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet Transmission Compatibility with Cubs

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Cadet Transmission Compatibility with Cubs

Postby Hengy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:35 am

Hi all!

I am not normally on the Cadet part of the forum as I don't have any cadet questions...however I have one for the collective wisdom on the Cadet forum...

Do all International Cub Cadet gear drive trannies from the 1960's and early 1970's interchange with Farmall/International Cub Tansmissions? I know that you have to flip the ring-gear and retainers to make it work with a Cub, but will it physically mount if you remove the input section?

Thanks for your help!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Cub Cadet Transmission Compatibility with Cubs

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:55 am

Mike,

I don't have a definitive answer, but I bought a couple, based upon the assumption that the swap you are talking about can be done. I'll wait for an answer (and hope I am right) from some more knowledgeable tranny gurus.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Mike.....I did a swap of gears out of a cub cadet into a FCUB......they work fine. I don't remember the casing being interchangeable and the input shaft is much different. The ring gear was the same, but it's on the opposite side of the casing, because the Kohler engine rotates opposite the cub engine. I had a scrap CC so I just used all the gears out of it.....made my cub transmission nice and quiet. I also used the CC shifter. I put it in a press and straightened the bend out......turns out to be about an inch taller than a regular FCUB shift....which is more comfortable to me.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Mike,
I believe that any of the cast iron CC transmissions will physically mount into a Cub or Lo-boy. However, most of the CC transmission cases were not drilled for the PTO shifter. I think that you can locate and drill the correct hole in the correct location, and I believe that the flat spot is there on the transmission case, but the CC cases were typically not drilled. Similarly, the transmission cover was not set up for the rear PTO like a Cub, so none of the PTO parts are in the transmission of a CC.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Mike,
Yes.

I have never seen a gear drive IH built Cub Cadet that the transmission case was not drilled for the PTO shifter except for the Peerless transaxles in the 482 and 582 Specials. The hole is there but has a Welch type plug in it. The Cub Cadet PTO was sold as an accessory and came complete with all parts necessary to install it in the Cub Cadet transmission case, including the new transmission top shaft.

The top covers are the same, the rear cover may be different if the Cub Cadet case did not have a PTO in it, in either case the Cub and Cub Cadet rear covers will interchange. If the tractor was not equiped with rear PTO, there are no PTO parts in the case whether the case is from a Cub or a Cub Cadet. The Cub Cadet Original is the only Cub Cadet that used the same PTO shifter as the Cub, the model's 70/100, 71, 72, 73 used a similar shifter but the shift lever that extends thru the side of the case is longer and the hole that the rod assembly (the actual shift lever) fits in, in that lever, is oriented/indexed different. All the other Cub Cadet models with a rear PTO used additional and or different linkage to operate the PTP shift lever.

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Yep''''''''''''''''''''''''' They all about covered it Mike''''''''''' :D There were some gear ratio difference's so when doing it it is best to change the hole shooten match. :lol:

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:06 pm

The tranny in my wife's Buttercub (1949 Farmall Cub) is out of a Cub Cadet Original. I put the tranny in myself. I put the PTO out of the Farmall tranny in the CC Original tranny. I had to flip the carrier and ring gear and install expansion plugs in the front of the CC tranny. It was a fairly simple swap. I also used the shifter and top cover from the Farmall tranny and put it on the CC tranny. I had to use the rear cover off the Farmall tranny as it was set up for the PTO. Basically every thing I needed to put the CC tranny into the Farmall Cub I used off the Farmall tranny. One problem I can see with using later CC trannys is that there is no fill plug on top of the tranny. Another problem I can see in using the later CC trannys is that there is no plug on the lower left side of the tranny to check and see if the tranny is full. The top shaft in the CC tranny will have to come out and install the top shaft out of the Farmall Cub. Also on the lower shaft you will need to take the cover off the Farmall Cub tranny and install it on the CC tranny. Also on the axle bearing retainers for the ring gear you will need to install a Farmall Cub axle seal and the O-ring. The seal and O-ring will fit into the CC retainers.

With all that being said if you are looking to swap a CC tranny into a Farmall Cub I would stay with the Cub Cadet Orginal tranny. It is the closet to the Farmall Cub tranny and is a simple swap.

Here is a photo of the CC tranny after most of the parts were interchanged.

JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:04 pm

Mike most of what has been said is right except know one thing , not all of the cadet cases are drilled for the rockshaft or PTO lever so check that first the rest of what has been said is true.
Jim Turner

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Isn't there two different gear ratios for second gear? I believe i have read that one gear setup may have one or two more teeth in it over the other set. If the second driver gear has less teeth the second speed would be lower and stronger. Now if the driver gear for second gear is larger than second gear would be faster for mowing. Of course the two gears in second gear would have to match so you need both gears to change the ratio's. Now you gots me a thinkin i have all kinds of used gear sets and trannies with gears to look at. One more winter project.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 pm

There are 3 different second speed/gear sets, 16/36, 17/35, and 19/33. The first number is the tooth count of the second speed sliding gear, second number is the count of the second speed fixed gear. The 16/36 sets were used in Cubs with S/N 192113 and above and all Cub Lo-Boys, 17/35 sets were used in Cubs S/N 192112 and below. In the Cub Cadets, 16/36 sets were used to S/N 96765, then 19/33 tooth set thru the rest of the narrow frame gear drive models (thru 126), and then 17/35 sets used in the wide frame models (86, 108, 128, 800,1000,1200, 582). Third speed/gear was 26/26 in all models of Cubs and Cub Cadets.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:03 am

If I am calculating this correctly, the 19/33 would give about a 10% faster output speed in 2nd gear, is that correct?

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:43 pm

It's faster, but I never cared enough to try and figure out how much. Makes it some what easier to keep up with the hydro Cub Cadets when plowing.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Here's the numbers; gear ratios 2nd gear

16 / 36 = 2.25 to 1 slower/stronger This means 2.25 turns on the driver gear to 1 turn on the driven gear.

17 / 35= 2.05 to 1 medium speed

19 / 33= 1.73 to 1 faster/higher This one for mowing faster in 2nd gear.

Your third gear being 26 to 26 is like 1 turn to 1 turn its even like the 3rd in a 3spd, 4th gear in a 4 spd, 5th gear in a 5 spd ect.

All the first gears with 13teeth are the same right?

I mowed one time with the 1200 cc in third gear and made it because of the larger machine. Third gear mowing on the smaller machines seems way too fast. Even on the int154's i wish i had another gear between 2nd and 3rd.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Inside the cub cadet tranny with the cub cadet top shaft there is nothing to drive the PTO inside the tranny right? Like if i wanted to put a farmall pto in a cub cadet tranny. There must be a part missing to do this. I know some of the cub cadets came with this option.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:37 pm

You use the same PTO assembly that is used on a Farmall Cub, but lever that goes thru the side of the case to engage/disengage the PTO is different (except for an Original), the PTO shift linkage is different depending on the model of the Cub Cadet, and you have to replace the top shaft in the transmission for one that is made for a PTO (it's longer and has splines on the back end for the PTO clutch and is drilled for a pilot bushing for the PTO shaft). There are two different top shafts used with the PTO's, one for an Original and one for all the other models.

Return to “Cub Cadet”