This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet 102 Starting

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Cadet 102 Starting

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:41 pm

I have found wiring harnesses and wiring diagrams for Cadet 102s with a starter solenoid....my 102 has a solenoid, a on/off key switch, and a push to start button. The only harnesses and diagrams I find for that set-up are on 70 and 100 Cadets. Is mine correct or not :?: Can I use a 70/100 wiring harness on this 102 :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Cub Cadet 102 Starting

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:27 pm

http://wssemw.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF

Wiring diagrams for CC's with K161 and K181 engines

I believe the answer is yes. If you didn't want to use the push button to energize the solenoid you could change the ignition switch over to the 3 position switch: Off, run, start.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks, Eugene....I am going to study on it a bit....can't open the link you posted. Here are the diagrams I am looking at:

http://www.cubfaq.com/wiringdiagrams.html
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:37 pm

http://www.cngco.com/

Actually it's the parts lookup on Carter and Grunwald.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:48 pm

If you keep the push button start switch you will need to move a couple of wires around. But the wiring harnes will/should work.

I just printed out the wiring diagrams for the 102 using the start on the key switch and the one for the 70.

I don't see an major problem when I put the two wiring diagrams side by side.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:37 am

No, your's is not correct, the 102 did not have a push button starter switch. Unless you want to make some wiring changes, I would use the correct harness for the 102, along with the correct key starter switch. The voltage regulator is different between the 70/100 and the 102 (4 terminal verses 3), 102 has a starting safety switch that the 70/100 does not have, etc.
It can be done, but........ If the 70/100 wiring harness is not a new one, you can cause some problems that can be hard to track down when you srart modifing/changing the wires. The wiring harness in the older Cub Cadets get brittle with age, the insulation breaks down which causes corrosion and damage to the wire itself, and generally causes a lot of headache's. If you are going to replace the harness, I would replace it with a new one. There are some good aftermarket harnesses available, and Mike Lamar makes a nice one and reasonable in price, however I don't have any contact information for him at present, after the IH Registry site crashed.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:33 pm

CB, I now have Mike Lamar's contact information if you need it.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks for the info, Paul. I went out tonight and stripped the old harness from the 102. The 70/100 harness I have is new. I have compared the two respective diagrams in the above link that I posted and it looks like I can make the 70/100 harness work. I may have to adapt/modify a few wire ends and make a couple of wires, but I think it will work just fine. I think I am going all new with the wiring....new (correct) switch, new harness, starter solenoid, and VR. :{_}: :{_}:

Greg Norman

Return to “Cub Cadet”