This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is a Cadet 108 a good one?

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Is a Cadet 108 a good one?

Postby Barnyard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Neighbor has a Cub Cadet 108 for sale. I haven't talked price with him yet. Are these a good one?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Re: Is a Cadet 108 a good one?

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:03 pm

All depends on what you want to do with it, but basically it is a good, 10 hp , gear drive tractor. It is a wide frame which means it is easier to work on the driveline if necessary, because you can get to it from the top. For just cutting grass it would be a good choice. If you want to use a snowthrower or tiller with it, a 12-14 hp hydrostatic transmission model might be better suited for that. A gear drive for those duties would also need a creeper gear to slow it down at the high engine RPM's those attachments need.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks Paul, I heard from another neighbor that he want's $200.00 for it but that is probably negotiable, It won't start because of the carb leaking gas and I have no idea how long it has sat. . I don't know what I would do with it yet, I have only seen it from the road.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Bill:

Gord bought one a couple years ago.. came with a mower deck and a QA36 snow thrower. We have been making parts and fixing it up over the last couple years. It runs real well, rather stout little critter. It will get it's baptism in snow this winter now that the QA36 is restored. The 108 is essentially still in the same work clothes as he bought it. He knew the tractor well as he has had his eye on it for a number of years. When it became available it was gone in a blink of an eye :lol: It is a pretty neat little tractor and I think a good purchase.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Barnyard, a simple carb cleaning and kit will cure that, if that is all that is wrong with it. Makes me think I might want if if you don't..............but then I have this "no place to put it" problem, so I guess I really don't want it. :lol:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Paul B wrote:Makes me think I might want if if you don't.....but then I have this "no place to put it" problem, so I guess I really don't want it. :lol:
Me to. If the engine was not locked up, I'd pick it up. If for nothing else the engine and extra parts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:20 am

Rudi wrote:Bill:

Gord bought one a couple years ago.. came with a mower deck and a QA36 snow thrower. We have been making parts and fixing it up over the last couple years. It runs real well, rather stout little critter. It will get it's baptism in snow this winter now that the QA36 is restored.

I'm sure he knows that tire chains are an absolute necessity, as is a creeper gear for snowblowing.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

keithd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: L0N1G0

Postby keithd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:42 pm

The 108 is a good machine. My wife & I bought one about 4 years ago & haven't had any trouble with it.
It mows the lawn & in winter we put a blade on it for snow & take it to tractor shows aswell.
The only problem with it is she claimed for herself.
Anyway you wouldn't go wrong with one.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:25 pm

After buying a 70cc, 100cc and a 122cc all narrow frames my next one was a running 108cc with the creeper/42" mower deck. Its a looker too from the orginal owner as all my cub cadets are from the orginal owners in most cases. While it looks and runs great i found it had some blowby which the PO told me about when it gets hot only. I added seafoam to the gas and engine oil and for 4 years going on the 5th year of mowing its still running great with almost no blowby at all. I found out the creeper roll pin was installed with a longer one that wouldn't allow the low speed to engage but i fixed that too. I like the wide frame 108 and with the snow "thrower" its not that bad either I used it a few times last year during the winter and it just threw the snow over to the next path but i cleared my driveway pretty quick. My answer is yes the 108 is a good one but also the 70, 100, 104, 122 and my 1200 cub cadets are all good ones too. I also have another 108, another 122 and a 124 that i need to get running also. I'm having as much fun with the cub cadets as i am with the fcub and the int154's too after all there all family right?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Cub Cadet”