This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

125 K301 head

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cef2lion
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16668

125 K301 head

Postby cef2lion » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:48 am

The 125 I just got has stripped threads on the spark plug. Past owner had a helicoil done. Its ok but I'm not sure the plug is in far enough. I sourced a replacement head. Then I found out about high and low boss heads. And that Kohler made a few different head designs. My exising head appears to be a low boss with the spark plug centered between the valves. The replacement head I have appears to be the newer design with the plug over the exhaust valve. I found a description of this head.

The newest style head manufactured by Kohler is much like the previous one, but has the spark plug located directly over the exhaust valve. There are two reasons why Kohler did this:

It prevents cold-starting incoming raw fuel from fouling the spark plug.
It helps to produce more engine power and torque by retaining the majority of the combustion heat in one area.

If I use this replacement head the tins on top the K301 will not match up with the spark plug hole. Has anyone else done a head replacement like this. I can cut the tin a bit to make the plug hole match the tin.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jeff in Pa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18092
eBay ID: jrd77vet
Tractors Owned: Cub Cadet 122
Cub Cadet 125

Re: 125 K301 head

Postby Jeff in Pa » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:18 pm

My 122 had the low boss head on it when I got it. Although they put a few pieces of tin work on it, it looks like just cutting the muffler heat shield would suffice.

Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23069

Re: 125 K301 head

Postby Mark In Richmond » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:36 am

I have a 301 head for sale. I send send you a photo if interested. It's in great shape Threads are perfect.

Return to “Cub Cadet”