This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Parts value vs. whole value of good cubs

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
apennoyer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18102

Parts value vs. whole value of good cubs

Postby apennoyer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:59 am

I noticed on ebay that one seller has these beautiful tractors that are being sold as parts. they list a part with a price and also have pictures of the "parts tractor" it came from. They have all these parts tractors and they all look very good and some even look restored. So it occurred to me, that the parts value must be much more than the whole value. Especially since the tractors are routinely being sold for $400 to $700 for good machines, some of which have rebuilt motors etc. Then you see parts prices. Sometimes $200 for a single part. So I wonder what is the actual profit for destroying these machines? In other words what is the approximate value of all the parts on a good machine..

What bothers me is that they are ruining good machines. It would not bother me to part out machines that need work, because they will provide parts for others to survive. And lets face it it doesn't take much wrong with a cub to exceed the value of it, with the parts prices as high as they are (forgetting the cost of labor). A worn pto, and 3 bad deck spindles would more than total out a $500.00 machine. Just replacing the 3 belts would probably cost $150 today.

For example lets say someone bought a model 147 for $600.00. Which might be an average price for a good machine with no rust or mechanical defects. Are the parts worth $1200? $2400? Would you double triple, or quadruple your money for ruining one of these? Or more?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Parts value vs. whole value of good cubs

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 am

Typically you can buy a complete tractor for less money than just a few parts off of it. True for farm tractors as well as Cub Cadets. There are individuals and companies purchasing tractor for parting out - a business.

Can you double or triple your money parting out tractors? Perhaps, if you could individually sell all of the parts. You need to look at this from a business aspect. Expenses such as time, labor, advertising, overhead, and then there are parts you can not sell.

Pictures of parts tractors. There is no relationship between the pretty picture and the condition of the parts.

I have purchased and parted out a farm tractor and several Cub Cadets because they were cheaper than the parts I needed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Parts value vs. whole value of good cubs

Postby gitractorman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Yea, I have also bought a few tractors for parts, then sold off what I did not need or use. You are right, you can make more money selling off the individual parts, however, you have to take the time to strip them down, organize, store, list individually, etc. It's a bit of a pain in the butt, and in the end you always end up with pieces that knowone wants. Right now I have two cadet frames, a couple of cast iron grill sections, and some other miscellaneous pieces just laying around, that I have had no luck selling. They'll probably go to scrap this spring.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Return to “Cub Cadet”